What we've been working on- Some animation with HitFilm Ultimate

triciakittytriciakitty Website User Posts: 11
edited April 2014 in Practical Filmmaking
My husband and I wanted to learn HitFilm 2 Ultimate by working on a project we can later use and share with people. I've been illustrating a book written by a friend of ours for 7 years now. Yes, I know...7 years? haha! We work on it when we have downtime from regular work, so it's slow going, but we're almost finished finally. Anyway, we decided to try and learn the software by animating a few of my illustrations to make a kind of promo for the book. We watched and re-watched the YouTube tutorials on the HitFilm channel (thank you guys sooo much for those!) and dove right in. Now, my husband has been playing with HitFilm for a little bit longer than I have, so he knows a bit more than me- I'm just now putting hands on keys. But we're working on learning all we can together. 
So here are the rough animations of two of the elements that will be in the final version. We didn't light the first one yet, and the second one will be tweaked a bit. They won't crossfade between one another in the final, either. We just did that so we could have them both in one clip. Also, the green borders will be chroma keyed out in the final to allow for a sickly greenish mist in which the frames can float about. I love constructive criticism- so anyone who sees how we can make stuff better, please let me know :) 
PS- I'm not trying to promote the book here, just showing you guys what we've learned so far, and this just happens to be the project we're using for practice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OUrHqmd5CuE  

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,307 Ambassador
    Very nice use of depth and parallax. The blurs really add to the shot. i think you just need a better background setup to replace that green. Something that compliments the artwork, That's a strong animation. :) Well done!
  • triciakittytriciakitty Website User Posts: 11
    Thank you! I can tell ya' we're having so much fun with the cameras and lights! We're also photographers, so being able to mimic different lenses and depth of field, etc.. is completely addictive! haha! The green borders will be chroma keyed out to allow for a sickly greenish mist that the frames will float about in. This post is the very first of our rough animations, and the final version we have in our heads will look way different. I'll post updates to this thread as we go. I appreciate you having a look and giving some feedback! Thank you :)
  • spydurhankspydurhank Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,831 Ambassador
    This is really, really good. I'm diggin' the animation a lot. :)
  • NullUnitNullUnit Website User Posts: 791 Just Starting Out
    Nice! I like the combination of 2d and 3d.
  • OrangePekoeOrangePekoe Website User Posts: 478
    Well done!!  The animation looked great, I loved the camera movement and DoF.  Can't wait to see whats next!
  • StormyKnightStormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,726 Ambassador
    It kinda scared me. :-? 
    Great animation! All I can do is echo what's already been said.
    Hope you bring more in the future and good luck on the book.
    I like the title a lot.
  • GKDantasGKDantas Website User Posts: 133
  • mark_emark_e Website User Posts: 190 Just Starting Out
    That's really nice, lovely to see something so artistic being rendered in HF and loving the parallax and dof use with the illustrations, make sure you post updates, the annoying thing about reading this forum is every time I do I come away with something else I want to try and there are just not enough hours in the day !!
    Mark
  • LucidFrameLucidFrame Website User Posts: 15
    You reminded me of these, we supported these live recently, and they took an interest in me working on Hitfilm.
    Loving your work ;)

Wow! This is really cool!  I love the way they use the paper, and how I wish we could hire an orchestra to do the music! haha! We found some music with the same kind of feel as in the video you posted- by Kevin MacLeod. Oh- this is triciakitty..haha! My husband was logged in and I forgot to log him out. Thank you very much for watching! 

That's really nice, lovely to see something so artistic being rendered in HF and loving the parallax and dof use with the illustrations, make sure you post updates, the annoying thing about reading this forum is every time I do I come away with something else I want to try and there are just not enough hours in the day !!
    Mark

Thank you very much! I finished the rough animation of one other drawing yesterday. I haven't added fx to it yet, but I will upload it soon to show you guys. We both appreciate the feedback :) I know what you mean. When I read through the threads and see everyone's work, it gives me ideas for so many more projects! haha! Yep- you're right! Not enough hours in the day...

Believe it or not that is not an orchestra, that is just a four piece and they all change places, the animation is all done by hand in front of you into a camera and shown on a big screen, it was absolutely amazing, if you ever get chance, watch them live ;)

Holy crap! That's even more impressive! Yes! I have to watch them live now.

edited April 2014

ANIMATION UPDATE: This is what I've been doing all day yesterday and today..haha! 

There are a few things to consider while you watch:

- This is not how the panels will be edited together- just a sequence of the panels we've worked on so far. The final version is gonna look lots different.

- Music will be added later- we found some that kicks ass! (thanks Kevin MacLeod!)

- The smoke in the background is a placeholder for a WAY cooler sickly mist we plan on making in HitFilm later on. It's just there to give a basic idea of what we'll be looking at.

- The Moon is temporarily too purple...

- All of the animation is VERY rough...especially the last panel.  We gots lots of tweaking to do! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k89c4lb1i84

• KirstieTKirstieT Staff Administrator, Moderator, Website User Posts: 1,058 Staff
    edited April 2014
    I am very glad you put up some of your animation. It's so lovely seeing how HitFilm can be used in quirky ways.
    I'm a big fan of this kind of stuff and I think the job you've done so far is great - I look forward to hearing how the music adds to the atmosphere. I would disagree about the moon - I think it looks great that purple, as it adds a real otherworldly quality to it (although of course I don't know exactly what kind of look you're going for).
    I'll be checking back to see what you're doing with these panels. Parallax is one of my favourite things to do with HitFilm anyway, and I love Tim Burton so you've kind of got me there! PS. If you haven't seen Vincent by Tim Burton, take a look as I think the design aspect of it is quite similar to yours (or at least it makes me think of it):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hD8uQzu0IL0