Mark's random i'm working on this thread

mark_emark_e Website User Posts: 190 Just Starting Out
edited April 2014 in Practical Filmmaking
I always enjoy looking at what everyone else posts here if I don't comment on everything so I thought I'd start one myself for the odd bits I work on.  If you have a min or so to look feel free!
I'm an over ambitious amateur is how I would describe myself  :D/ so I usually end up doing charity work and free stuff for folks starting out, music / fitness etc.in my spare time.
Just finished this short promo for a couple of friends setting up their personal training company.  Always interested in feedback good or bad from others more in the trade as such, my clients are just happy to get anything in focus, well or anything at all  :D so I rarely get critical feedback.  Obviously looks better at 1080p for full screen but still nowhere near as nice as the original footage I have which is always frustrating. 
I wanted it not to look like every other fitness video as well!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wz8F954vn0c
I was pretty pleased with the lighting in the most part a couple of the slider shots are the best I've done to date, I planned ahead to make sure the sun was hitting a load of security glass near the end of the day as it went down to light the gym as well as the artificial light.  This obviously gave me many problems matching everything in post but it was worth it for some of the shots I got.
Tried to grade each activity to look slightly different e.g. more hot for cardio, darker for strength etc.  I like the strength grade the best.  May have bleached it out a bit to much for the recovery one but I like it.
Used hitfilm for the lower thirds, recreated their boot logo as a 3d object in blender and then imported that into hitfilm for that.  The full screen render was in blender.  The blender bit took ages to create I'm still not that speedy but getting better.
Did the composite in sony vegas after exporting from hitfilm with transparency as I was using film convert pro as a base for the grade on the footage and didn't want lots of round trips, looking forward to the new hitfilm plugins :-)
Ended up writing the music as i couldn't find anything royalty free I liked, well I say wrote I used some loops in FL studio, lets just say I'm never going to have a no.1 but I think it works, could have mixed it a bit better and it's running a bit hot but I had to call it a day at some point!
Mark

Comments

• triciakittytriciakitty Website User Posts: 11
    You use lots of the same programs as my husband and I do. We also use HitFIlm (Ultimate), Vegas, and are learning Blender...which yes- takes forever, but is awesome! 
    I really like your coloring of the different categories. I don't think the Recovery is too bleached out, I like it! It completely takes you out of the workout scenes- it is its own entity...I thought that was cool! I agree the music is a little hot, but the music you created definitely fits the subject matter.
    I'm just learning the awesomeness of HitFilm, so you can take any feedback I give with a grain of salt..haha! But I have been a videographer and an editor for about 12 years, so I know what looks good to my eye-orbs :) I think you did a great job overall! 
  • spydurhankspydurhank Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,829 Ambassador
    Looks great Mark. :)
  • NullUnitNullUnit Website User Posts: 791 Just Starting Out
    Looks great and professional to me. My only criticism would be that since it's an ad it might be good to tighten up the editing and bring it down from 1:34 to around 1:00. But, really the ad looks awesome as it is, too. 
  • mark_emark_e Website User Posts: 190 Just Starting Out
    Thanks all! @Null Unit, good call I should have done that, I did a 20 sec advert the other day killed me throwing so much away but it sort of worked! I think I could have tightened this up more in retrospect.
    @triciakitty thx for feedback much appreciated, Blender is very funny, I've mainly been doing hard surface modeling to learn and was starting to think I was getting the hang of it then I started trying to do something organic (trying to model my horses head) I spent like 3 hours and got 2 small initial face loops down and I wasn't even happy with them and binned the whole lot lol felt like I was just starting all over again.  Still it's all good learning I guess organic harder as it relies on me being vaguely artistic which is most likely the underlying issue :-) 
    I love it when I get the the hitfilm bits, don't know what it is but I just find it really fun to use now I've spent a bit of time with it.
    Next small project is doing a bit of charity / community work filming one of the students playing drums etc. from a local school that needs a bit of extra support, think he want's to blow the school up at the end, sounds like perfect hitfilm project to me, starting to think how I may go about that without it looking tacky, should be fun!
  • Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,307 Ambassador
    That's a fun ad. Didn't notice any issues with lighting. I like your different color looks. To me, the text at the end is a little dull, however. Plus, um, pretty women in spandex sells.
    If the ad is "private," or "web," or "in house," you're okay, but if you even THINK it might go to broadcast, then 29 1/2 seconds or 59 1/2 seconds. Had a partner once who stupidly cut a bunch of radio ads long--1 min 11, etc... He sent them to the client. That afternoon I frantically recut all four one-minute and all three 30-seconds down to size, but it was too late. Client fired us for delivering long. oops.
    Thanks Triem yes that's a good call, this is for web so it's fine but I think going forward I'm going to start working to these standards even if it's for this type of stuff.  I've done one for specific timings and it actually made it a better result as I had to really focus on what was important and ended up better as a result.
    Agree with the titles, if the truth be known I don't like doing titles :-) hence they tend to always be my weak point I must try harder!!
    Just playing about dropped an unfinished 3d model I'm working on into hitfilm to see what it looked like outside of blender, I had noticed in my last vid if you add stuff like anamorphic flares, gleam etc direct to 3d models you can get some really nice effects.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_kik9m8aKs
  • spydurhankspydurhank Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,829 Ambassador
  • Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,307 Ambassador
  • StormyKnightStormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,726 Ambassador
    Scariest horse head since the Godfather! ;) 
    Scariest horse head since the Godfather! ;)

I'm just pleased you recognised it as a horse head, it was looking like an elephant for some time :D I've almost finished filling in the core mesh for the head, I have to plan so much to keep it all quads and trying to do proper edge loops etc. it's addictive once you get going and move from every touch breaking something to actually getting predictable results I'm starting to find it quite relaxing!  Doing ears, eyes and muzzle next that's going to be the challenging part as I'm trying to do it fairly anatomically correct in the mesh for when I start on the sculpting phase.
    I've got a bag of tricks now for increasing and decreasing the topology routing edge loops and getting around triangles etc so getting faster but still a long way to go.

Added ears and eyes and filled in head, loads more to do and this is just base for sculpting later but it's taking shape better than I expected!  HF good for quick renders to check progress.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qO3SWaBXAwg
    Wow, great job Mark. Your model looks awesome.  :) 
    Is there a body to go with this, or are you doing a "Sci-Fi 'Godfather?'" ;-)
    Looking good.
    Is there a body to go with this, or are you doing a "Sci-Fi 'Godfather?'" ;-)
    Looking good.

Yes I'm going to do the whole thing hopefully, I want to model my horse with hair and animation etc. this is just getting the general anatomy down, going to be a long term project! I was thinking Robot Unicorn Attack fan film as well  :D 
    I do have a business idea to try if I can do this, we will see! will probably form part of my logo as well when I get to it.

• StormyKnightStormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,726 Ambassador
    Robot Unicorn Attack!?!?!?!?!?! I LOVE IT!!!!! :)
    You could use the 'worm gear' in Blender for the horn!
    Great job, mark_e!
    Base mesh done, it's not that dense just have sub surf on it, thinking about what next, can't decide if I should rig/ pose it first and make sure mesh ok for that or sculpt / unwrap etc. will have to do some more research as to best approach, no idea where this is going! but it's fun at least.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvTOxDsC2lk
    Awesome model Mark, looks very clean. 
    Looks good! Hmmm... I would think maybe a "garbage rig" first to check maybe just the joints where legs meet torso, and maybe the neck/skull join? Wouldn't those be the most likely joints to "tear" the mesh? Then subsculpt!
    Awesome model Mark, looks very clean. 

Thanks! I had to completely re-topologise the whole thing after my first attempt ended up in a complete mess I got suckered into adding too much detail and made far too dense a mesh and didn't really understand edge loop flow and how to control it.  I think next time I do an organic shape I'm just going to roughly box model it and dynamic sculpt it then lay the final mesh over that now I understand it all a bit better.

Looks good! Hmmm... I would think maybe a "garbage rig" first to check maybe just the joints where legs meet torso, and maybe the neck/skull join? Wouldn't those be the most likely joints to "tear" the mesh? Then subsculpt!

I think I'll do that, lots of learning to do for that piece should be fun, I tried really hard to make sure the mesh was clean it's all quads and I've tried to tuck the polls out of the way from where I think it will need to crease but we will see!  I'm a bit more confident working with the mesh now to start with i was almost too worried to change stuff but now I'll go in an rip it apart :-)
    Will get back to being more HF related once i get to the point I want to comp it, now wheres that green spandex body suit for my horse, he's going to love me later in the year ;-)

First GH4 shots
    Picked mine up yesterday from my local shop in the UK they had 2 delivered I got lucky! a few test shots all 4k original 2k delivery
    From a hitfilm point of view, happy days the GH4 lets you select the luma output (0-255, 16-255 or 16-235) and mp4 container as well as mov so I can select 16-235 luma +mp4 in camera and use it direct in hitfilm and vegas with not transcoding to make them both work together no clipping and avoid the dreaded 32bit quicktime issues yay!
    Hitfilm works great with the 4k footage for tracked stabilisation I had to use that in a lot of the shots below was getting high frequency vibration on the tripod because it was so windy, tracked static points in hitfilm applied as stabilisation centred in hitfilm dropped into timeline  opened in vegas cropped etc. so no intermediary.  Hitfilm renders out nicely to mp4 100mbps average 5.1 4k as well if I need to render direct.  Need to get some more ram using hitfilm + vegas together with 4k managed to get system paging for first time with 16 gig base good to see them using it all to be honest.
    I used the vibrance hitfilm plugin in vegas on the pigeon shot over the top of film convert pro it hold up well in the 4k workflow I think, looks good, will be trying out others soon :)

Wow... jealous. 
  • OrangePekoeOrangePekoe Website User Posts: 478
    That looks great mark!  Really liked that fence gate shot, the clarity and sharpness is crazy!