Copying tracks/ clips

PaulStarrPaulStarr Website User Posts: 16 Just Starting Out

When I copy a clip intending to replicate the length of the clip and attributes I find that when I edit the copy the original clip and the copied clip are both edited with my changes.

How do I duplicate tracks so that I can edit them independently?

Many thanks.

Comments

• TheBenNorrisTheBenNorris Staff Administrator, Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,561 Staff

@PaulStarr that doesn't sound like the intended behavior to me. Can you clarify what you mean by edit the copy? How are you duplicating the clip, and how are you editing it (slicing, changing duration etc).

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,228 Ambassador

@TheBenNorris my guess is Paul Starr is duplicating a clip on a timeline then editing an instance via the right-click "Properties" menu. 

@PaulStarr if you edit the "Properties" of a clip you are actuality changing the clip at the Media Bin level. This changes every instance on all timelines. 

If that's what you're doing, then, what you need to do is duplicate the clip IN THE MEDIA BIN (rename the duplicate) then edit the properties of the duplicate and then cut it to the timeline. 

• PaulStarrPaulStarr Website User Posts: 16 Just Starting Out

Thank you for those clarifications. I think I managed to work that out. It's a little counter intuitive, but I have learned to work that way. Sorry for the very delayed response.