Can HitFilmExpress make exposure corrections on just part of a clip ?

DBenz003
DBenz003 Posts: 5
edited October 2019 in HitFilm

Hi,

Happens to us all, yet I see no means for other video editing progs of adjusting for this very commonplace happening.

Correctly exposed  footage at start of a clip then as I pan to sky on full manual control I forget to adjust aperture smaller, (full manual control by the way, not on auto else sky would go too dark) and things are a bit bright !, then pan back to trees and all is ok.

Needs EXPOSURE adjustment introduced in as a transition curve then later taken out as a transition curve type of approach., nothing sudden or steppy.

In photoshop this would be adjustment>exposure, not brightness contrast or HueSatLightness, or levels.

What filters I see in progs are those, not exposure.

Pshop can fix by up to 2 stops exposure if photo taken in RAW mode. Camcorders dont shoot in RAW, but is the footage equivalent as such or is it as if it were tiff ? If unforgiving then its not going to be so easy.

I can see zero about this on the internet everyone thinks clips are 100% start to finish afflicted. Drag drop levels to clip or brightness contrast. Be that Davinci or Vegas etc. Life is not as asimple as that, things can be good then go bad. Sun comes out etc., or goes in. When filming birds or airshow a fixed setting is essential but if the light changes it needs adjusting post processing.  I hope HitFilmExpress is more intelligent.

DBenz003

Comments

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,373 Expert
    edited September 2019

First, "Exposure" is not a specific thing. What one app calls exposure will likely operate slightly or significantly, different than another app with the same thing called exposure.

The Color correction wheels effect has an exposure property. (Master controls). Master affecting all tones and Shadow/Midtone/highlight tone adjustments.

As an add-on effect Express has the Exposure effect. This has exposure, offset and gamma properties.

A +0.5 exposure property adjustment on Wheels and the Exposure effect seems to have the same result.

Just to be complete, Hitfilm Pro has the Exposure Pro effect. This is a little Adobe tone like in features offered. Exposure, Contrast, Shadows, Midtones, Highlight, Whites, Blacks, Vibrance, Saturation. No color correction. Just toning.

edit: If you only want to use the effect on a certain time range then you can simply trim/cut the boundaries of where you want the effect to apply. Or use keyframing. A cut does not need to have or imply some jump in frames. You can have a cut in between consecutive frames. 

• As an add-on effect Express has the Exposure effect. This has exposure, offset and gamma properties.

A +0.5 exposure property adjustment on Wheels and the Exposure effect seems to have the same result.

Hi, this sounds suitable. fantastic news in fact.

I would want to use keyframes and fade it in, to follow the way the lighting goes when the sun comes out or in, sometimes the entire clip could be given one alteration, but with keyframing I presume the amount applied can vary, one setting for first keyframe, then another for next. I had hoped for a draggable sloping line , like one does on sound, could alter the amount, that would be MY IDEAL,  is that how it is or is it a different setting is applied to each KeyFrame so for subtlety quite a few KF's would be used ?

DBenz003

• TheBenNorris
    TheBenNorris Posts: 2,042 Staff

@DBenz003 all animatable properties can be edited using the graph editor, which allows you to manipulate the property in a curves-like way.

This discussion has been closed.