A community effort for quick tutorials?

triforcefxtriforcefx United StatesModerator, Website User Posts: 1,060 Moderator

There’s a number of common issues that we see on this forum, and sometimes we end up explaining the same things over and over again. I think it would make everyone’s lives a bit easier if the community could come together and make a playlist of short, concise videos detailing common procedures and fixes.

A good example of something like this is @FilmSensei ‘s viewer controls video. Unfortunately, because the location of the controls changed shortly after Jay released that video, it’s no longer the elegant answer to issues it should have been. Ideally, we would be able to create a playlist and keep it up to date as things change. 

Here are some ideas:

- How to install, use, and post a MediaInfo report

- Updated viewer controls video

- How to make sure your Intel drivers are up to date

- How to make sure your Nvidia drivers are up to date

- How to make sure your AMD drivers are up to date

- How to ensure Hitfilm is using your dedicated graphics card

- How to check your system specs (Mac or PC)

- How to setup FFmpeg to easily transcode footage to CFR and NormanAVC with Norman’s scripts

- 2 minute Transcoding Crash Course (what and why)

- Switch iPhone to from H.265 to H.264 encoding

- Switch to H.264 on other popular phones

- the HitFilm workflow

- Hitfilm Minimum spec. Explained

- How to post images to the HitFilm forum

- How to get a serial code and activate Hitfilm Express (this one needs to be very stern and very specific) 

- “I can’t export!?!”

Most of these videos shouldn’t take more than an hour or so to create, but have the potential to save us many hours of eye rolling, typing, and irritation, and get to the fun parts of this forum like building fx and making movies. 

Feel free to post any other video ideas you have and claim any videos that you’re interested in making. Even if you’re not a tutorial channel, if you have knowledge on a subject, your help would be appreciated. 

Thoughts?

Comments

• FilmSenseiFilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,297 Ambassador
    edited September 2019

@triforcefx Whenever I refer the viewer controls video, I just add a quick note about the change in UI.

I made a super quick transcode video (using Handbrake) three years ago that people love... 8000+ views with over 200 likes

My newest video, "The Editor Timeline vs. a Composite Shot: What's the Difference?" is designed to answer that specific question. Mike helped me with the script, and part that video contains a suggested HitFilm Workflow.

I believe that Axel's tutorial on how to download and install HitFilm Express is an outstanding video, and definitely covers how to activate. That is my go to recommendation for anyone asking me that question.

I did a video on how to export (2 years ago in HitFilm 4) with over 29,000 views. People still watch it today. It is badly dated, however, so that would be a great video for me to update.

Several of your other suggestions seem to be good ideas also. I will see about working them into my schedule!

• FilmSenseiFilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,297 Ambassador

@triforcefx If you could pick one of these topics that you would like to see first, what would it be? I'll do it next!

• Andy001zAndy001z Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,864 Ambassador

I think one thing that could help, I know some people have tried this, is putting in the TAGs on youtube what version it was generated or tested with.

• triforcefxtriforcefx United StatesModerator, Website User Posts: 1,060 Moderator

@FilmSensei

Of course, if there are already relevant tutorials, that would make the workload easier! It does make a good point though... it’s not always easy to dig up older tutorials- ideally we should have a central YouTube playlist + a stickied forum post as a de-facto reference guide. 

• JavertValbarrJavertValbarr Staff Administrator, Website User Posts: 297 Staff

@FilmSensei Hold off on doing an updated video on exporting for a bit; an update to it is in the works.

@triforcefx

@Triem23 has a complete listing of all HitFilm related tutorials ever made on the HitFilm University YouTube Channel. He has up to date playlists for just about everyone who has ever done a HitFilm tutorial! If anyone would know if a tutorial has been done, it would be Mike. If you want to know if a certain topic has been covered, ask Mike first!

@JavertValbarr Good to know! Thanks for that.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,262 Ambassador

@triforcefx @FilmSensei @JavertValbarr regarding Triforce's list.

- How to install, use, and post a MediaInfo report: Covered by Me in Essential Hitfilm 7 Video is still accurate (mostly), but could use an update to add VirtualDub and FFMpeg while removing GoPro Studio, since that's now useless.

- Updated viewer controls video: Needs update

- How to make sure your Intel/Nvidia/AMD drivers are up to date: Covered by this FAQ, but a video won't hurt: https://fxhome.com/faqs/view/10

- How to ensure Hitfilm is using your dedicated graphics card: Hitfilm SHOULD do this already, but a video won't hurt.

- How to check your system specs (Mac or PC): Also covered in Essential Hitfilm 7

- How to setup FFmpeg to easily transcode footage to CFR and NormanAVC with Norman’s scripts: Not covered in Essential Hitfilm 07 (that's showing Handbrake), but description links to Norman and Stargazers threads on that topic. Planned by me, but I don't know when life will let me get back to tutorials.

- 2 minute Transcoding Crash Course (what and why): Essential Hitfilm 7, but I didn't do it in two minutes

- Switch iPhone to from H.265 to H.264 encoding: Sure, why not? I'm Android. Not my circus or monkeys.

- Switch to H.264 on other popular phones: Well, I'm on Android...

- the HitFilm workflow: Jay touched on this with his most recent video, but this is actually a series. I'll tell you from experience workflow can be quite different depending on the nature of the product. An event is cut differently than a film or music video.

- Hitfilm Minimum spec. Explained: Covered in Essential 07, but specs have changed since then.

- How to post images to the HitFilm forum: Can't argue with that. Again, I actually had a series planned just about the Hitfilm Forum. Placed on hold because I know website changes are planned, but don't know when they'll roll out. Javert, anything you're all owed to say on that?

- How to get a serial code and activate Hitfilm Express (this one needs to be very stern and very specific) : Been done in the last year by Axel.

- “I can’t export!?!”: Should be covered in the next Export Tutorials after the Queue is changed, but this has been covered in prior tutorials, and the problem is, always, ALWAYS a user dismissing the "Switch to Export Tab" message after clicking the "Don't Show this Again" button without actually reading the message. Admittedly, putting the tabs back in the interface might help there, since in the last two versions of Hitfilm it's kind of buried in a drop-down, but I'm not suggesting the interface change again. Just the observation.

I don't have EVERY YouTube Hitfilm tutorial creator listed in my playlists - I keep discovering new ones - but I do have playlists for almost 40 channels. In these cases it's the "Hitfilm Only" tutorials, so the Film Riot and Surfaced Studio playlists only have their Hitfilm Episodes. My FXHOME playlist in only the Hitfilm tutorials, no Imerge or livestream/Q&A episodes, but, yeah, there's a lot of Hitfilm tutorials out there.

• NormanPCNNormanPCN Website User Posts: 3,945 Enthusiast

"How to post images to the HitFilm forum:"

Postimage is probably the easiest. Free image hosting. They even have a free Windows screen capture utility (print screen). Capture an image, whole or partial/selected screen area, upload to postimage and get a link to that upload, link URL copied into the clipboard which you can easily paste into a Hitfilm forum insert image link.

@Triem23 Maybe you don't have EVERY single HitFilm tutorial ever made listed, but you have the most complete list ever compiled by far!

• triforcefxtriforcefx United StatesModerator, Website User Posts: 1,060 Moderator

@Triem23

Essential HitFilm 7 is a beautiful creation. I've watched it a few times and would absolutely recommend it to anyone trying to learn or get better with HitFilm. However, I fear that many people will simply "nope" out of watching the whole thing, or even segments of it simply due to the length. Perhaps sections of it could be edited down to bite-sized chunks and posted to individual videos? I understand that you're not a huge fan of bite-sized, but for many users, short-form videos seem to work best.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,262 Ambassador

@triforcefx again, annoying circumstance has prevented me from the relaunch, but, yes, the plan is to split many longer vids into shorter segments. Including that one. 

One thing to consider, however, is anyone who does a series of tutorials, inevitably part 3 has 1/4 of the views of part 1.

• DimipapaDimipapa Website User Posts: 310 Enthusiast

Triem thinks 43 minutes is quick