Davinci Resolve 11 - The Editor we've been waiting for?

MichaelJamesMichaelJames Website User Posts: 2,038 Enthusiast
In the 1 piece of BMD news that isn't making me angry... they are going to release Resolve 11, with a improved editor feature.  If the Hitfilm plugin can be ported over... I can literally have the 2 softwares I love the most married and making babies.
http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve

Comments

• ivanhurbaivanhurba Website User Posts: 27
    Well, Resolve has XML, AAF and EDL in and out. We could work with the HFU standalone version if roundtrip was enable, and I love Hitfilm's UI. Some features are still missing from Resolve as an editor, but it's a great combination and covers 90% of everyday's needs!
  • MichaelJamesMichaelJames Website User Posts: 2,038 Enthusiast
    I'm talking about the resolve which will be released this year
  • HarHar Website User Posts: 400 Just Starting Out
    edited April 2014
    Yah, I saw the Resolve 11 announcement yesterday and was looking through it....very nice.
    When I first read about the Hitfilm plugins, that's actually the first thing I thought of - if they would work in Resolve too and be able to make use of its own editor, that could be pretty sweet right there.
  • Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,313 Ambassador
    I don't even use Resolve, but have to agree with you.
  • HarHar Website User Posts: 400 Just Starting Out
    I'm still using Resolve 9 here so far - I'd not updated to 10 yet as I was a little concerned with the higher resource specs it had, though I might've been being unnecessarily over-cautious. I'll probably give 11 a go when it comes out.  :) 
  • GKDantasGKDantas Website User Posts: 133
    Its cool, but I really wish that HFU could support plugins like Colorist and other. I am really confortable with HFU interface and particles arent included in the plugin pack for other editors.
    The same way add a new software and buy HF plugins to it its a very expensive way to upgrade to me as a low budget here...
  • MarcDracoMarcDraco Website User Posts: 37
    It's like a swiss army knife, the more tools you have, the more bloated it becomes. There's a danger that Hitfilm might go this way too (developers call it feature creep). 
    Now Resolve (for me) is superb at what it does - and would be better if I had a surface to drive it. I've toyed with 10 as an editor and found it too cumbersome.
    Hitfilm has a nice marriage of tools without trying to be the best at all things - this is the mistake Microsoft made with Windows. It's too monolithic.
    After Effects is separate from Premier for a number of reasons (some of them historic) but it remains the compositor of choice for most professionals. 
    I started with Hitfilm Express 2 as an editor with compositing capability to reduce my workload but mostly because  Premier CS4 just breaks so often on my system. I now use Hitfim 2 Ultimate to cover some of the effects that are difficult or impossible in my stock After Effects. The particle sim is as good as or better in almost every regard than Trapcode Particular which costs the same as HFU complete!
    Personally, I prefer to have a box of tools that all do their job brilliantly than a single tool that does some well and others badly. Unix (Linux, Mac OSX) is built using this paradigm and it shows.
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    Resolve 11 does indeed look pretty funky.
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    I don't know if we've been actively 'anti' add-ons. It's more that we've wanted HitFilm 2 Ultimate to be a really, really solid base, and to have a broad and high quality selection of built-in effects. Given part of the software's original purpose (which it's expanded upon greatly, appealing to a much wider demographic) was to provide powerful tools to people who otherwise might not be able to afford them, it was crucial that the integrated toolset was up to scratch, so that people didn't feel like they had to buy plugins to get what they needed.
    For example, 3D model rendering? Proper particle simulation? Those should be built-in to a VFX compositor, not premium plugins.
  • GKDantasGKDantas Website User Posts: 133
    I agree Simon, thats what I really love about HFU, I dont need to jump from another software to other to get the result that I need, but I really like to see some more fluid effects to build fire and smoke and maybe a import option to displacement animation for objects (this way we could export from Lightwave to Hitfilm with animation, but PLEASE, no animation for objects in HFU, its fine this way, simple and effective!)
  • Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,313 Ambassador
    Well... I assume that the work that went into making a common framework to easily convert Hitfilm Effects for other NLE's kind of already counts as a plug-in sdk, doesn't it?
  • KirstieTKirstieT Staff Administrator, Moderator, Website User Posts: 1,058 Staff
    Just adding in here that apparently the Blackmagic URSA camera which we covered also includes full DaVinci Resolve 11 software for Mac and Windows. They're going all out!
    Y'know, sometimes individual retailers will bundle a camera with software for a reduced rate... It occurs to me that allowing retailers or cam makers to at least bundle that single-install Hitfilm Free with a camera might be a good idea.
  • 3dmus3dmus Website User Posts: 117
    I have to say, even the lite version looks pretty good to me...assuming the below link will still be valid for Resolve 11, I think this is pretty incredible (i.e. a great editor/grading etc app for free!). 
    http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/compare
  • eifilmseifilms Website User Posts: 9

Does anyone know how to use Davinci resolve as a color correction software and transfer over to hitfilm 3 pro? so using hitfilm 3 pro as the editor and what not and Davinci as the color software?