Blackmagic's new cameras the USRA and the Studio camaera

MichaelJamesMichaelJames Website User Posts: 2,038 Enthusiast
The USRA is 6 grand for this new beauty.  While it does have lust worthy specs there are 2 things which bother me about this camera.  It runs off of CF cards and instead of fixing the old cameras they released new cameras.  I mean this is an upgradeable 4k Camera but the media is crazy expensive and they just alienated a lot of camera owners who are waiting on camera firmware fixes.  I own the BMCC and i just want the black dot fix.

http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicursa

The studio camera looks cool but I can't see a business wanting to upgrade to these cameras given their fix track record.
http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicstudiocamera

Comments

• DewrDewr Website User Posts: 129 Enthusiast
    there is a message on the BM forum saying that updates are being tested and are going to be released soon
  • MichaelJamesMichaelJames Website User Posts: 2,038 Enthusiast
    @Dewr and Tooshka
    They have been promising updates forever.  They just updated their camera utility app to support the mew cameras but no updates on the old ones.  The constant promises from them about working on things has worn out its welcome.  It would of been like Fxhome promising the first major hitfilm 1 update and then subsequently releasing hitfilm 2 the following year and then announcing hitfilm 3 and still saying they will update hitfilm 1.  the pocket camera got the black dot fix and the bmcc is still waiting for that.  That's why I'm bigger on transparency when it comes to software updates.
  • Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,308 Ambassador
    CF cards and crazy-expensive compared to, say, P2 cards.
    Cf cards, yeah, they're more expensive than SD cards, but CF is also faster and more durable. i've never had a CF card go bad on me in 15 years. I've had quite a few SD cards self-corrupt.
  • ivanhurbaivanhurba Website User Posts: 27
    The new Ninja Star uses Cfast too. It's going to be a new standard, so prices should (I hope) come down steadily.
  • ESPicturesESPictures Website User Posts: 533 Just Starting Out
    Well, BM's problem is trying to do too much at once and not getting a rock solid camera out despite delays.  When they say the new camera will be released in July, does anyone think it will come out before next February at the earliest?  I don't think they need to release a new camera every year and certainly not 2 per year. I'd be happier to see them come out with software upgrades to make their current line of cameras better than to rush on to a new model.
    I want normal SSDs to be the standard... very simple and easy to use.
  • NullUnitNullUnit Website User Posts: 791 Just Starting Out
    This is why I am not an "early adopter" when it comes to cameras.
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    I just wish it wouldn't take massive public outcry to get that non generic response... Seriously you know you are unveiling new cameras so a month before release THAT statement. You know fan service. They are in a business and if you keep being disrespectful to previous customers you are just undercutting your own business. I mean they want yo sell the most amount of cameras... The tech enthusiasts who bought your cameras is half your market. These simple explanations could of been provided how long ago? Its not a firmware update or a dated release... Its just simple information but it makes the world of difference.
  • SimonKJonesSimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    It does seem a little short sighted, as a fair amount of news coverage ended up being about the old camera 'controversy' rather than focusing on their cool new stuff. If they'd just addressed it up front, as you say, then that wouldn't have happened.
    It's (very) vaguely similar to our initial blog post about the HitFilm Plugins, where we made a point in that same blog post of addressing what the plugins meant for HitFilm 2 Ultimate users. Getting excited about a new product is fair enough, but if you forget to acknowledge your existing customers you can get into a sticky position.
    The nice thing is that Fxhome is very active on their forums and there is little barriers between the people posting on the forums from fxhome and the people at fxhome who are working on fixing and creating.  When ive had my very few issues with hitfilm you guys are quick to help... When ive found a random video on youtube or had a idea, its led to quick feedback or hitfilmization.  The clone army idea and that ocean example done in AE led to users adding majorly cool ideas into forums. Im waiting to see triem23 merging the clone space fleet and the ocean idea together and add a reflection.
    i own a bmcc and i accept the camera for what it is and what its not.  That being said, im not mad that better tech is out. Im just mad that it took years for a substantial response to the issues.
    True but people bought it assuming it wouldn't take years to fix. I mean who would of saw the bmcc having the sun spot issue almost 2 years later after a new camera got the fix.
  • FilmWorldFilmWorld Website User Posts: 12
    I want URSA and I shall call her.......Ursa. :)
    Lol I would call mine Bob so I can hit Bob in the face any time I need to record more then 6 minutes of 4k raw and need to plop down 1200 for the media to get another 6 minutes.
  • KirstieTKirstieT Staff Administrator, Moderator, Website User Posts: 1,058 Staff
    edited April 2014
    Film Riot's opinion of the URSA - I'm just going to slide this in here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1O8Mqf19O4

Film Riot managed to do what I couldn't which was film themselves with the Black Magic professionals - definitely worth a look if you're interested in the URSA :)
    The details are great but the media tech is kind of a deal breaker
  • MatthiasClaflinMatthiasClaflin Website User Posts: 674 Just Starting Out
    I agree with Michael on this one. Trying to record to the URSA is far too expensive. The CF cards for most canon Cameras or P2 cards for the Panasonic, I thought were bad enough. Over a grand just for 128GB? I think that's just pushing it...
    I have the capabilities to buy the camera but lack the interest.  Really except for the lack of 60 fps... i can make the 2.5k resolution work in my bmcc
  • Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,308 Ambassador
    CF-Fast cards will drop in price: For 2014, yeah, you have to have a lot of cash to get your media, but CF is a common, standard form. (Heck, my first CF media was a mighty 32 MB and cost me $150 in 1999)
    Panasonic's P2 cards started expensive ($1200 for 8GB in 2005), and remain expensive, but less so (64GB for $600) now.
    But the P2 card is this odd hack from when SD cards were slow--P2 cards are arrays of SD cards with a custom control firmware to write data to and from multiple "cells" (the individual SD cards) at the same time, and this custom control firmware is what keeps the price so high. the CF-Fast--yeah, it's a grand for 128 GB now, but in two years you'll be able to get a 512 GB CF card for about $500---the same price as a 512GB SSD in 2014. Patience, my friends.... Patience...
    All these new cameras are quite exciting, really.
    It will drop in price, but not 80 percent in 3 years.
  • MatthiasClaflinMatthiasClaflin Website User Posts: 674 Just Starting Out
    I'm not considering if I should buy a camera like this in two years, but rather now. In two years, hopefully cameras will move toward cheaper (such as SSD) media. I don't think this camera will be nearly as relevant in two years especially considering the way crazy amount of cameras released every year now.
    Watch next year BMD will release the URSA Minor... it will have the same sensor but film up 200fps and be able to record to a combination of SSD and SD cards.  It will allow for Tablets to be installed to be the monitors instead of using their preinstalled monitors.  Oh and it will cost half the cost of the current model.