Variable length composite shots?

mortoray
mortoray Posts: 51 Just Starting Out
edited September 2019 in HitFilm

I have a composite shot for a title card. I resuse this on several different videos.

On the first video I want it to be longer than the other ones. I know I could duplicate and shorten it, but I'm looking for a cleaner way. On the shorter ones it's the middle static segment of the composite shot that is shortened. There's no animation happening in that part.

Comments

• mortoray
    edited September 2019
  • mortoray

I have a composite shot where the middle length is too long. (This relates to this question: https://fxhome.com/forum/discussion/50851/variable-length-composite-shots )

I want to shorten the composite shot, but I don't see an easy way to do this. The middle section has no animation -- this is the part I want to make shorter. Both ends have animation, so I can't just shorten each layer.

There are 11 layers.

• mortoray

I tried slicing the layers to reduce the size from the left. This gives me a few problems:

• Slicing doesn't appear to lean up the animation timeline. There are keyframes left on the original which are not part of it's sliced segment.
    • There's no way to merge layers after the slicing, so I'm left with an overly complex composite.
    • Published layers are split, only the original remains published.

This is frustrating.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,297 Power User
    edited September 2019

Embed the original Comp in a second Comp. Chop out the static frames in the center, butt up your remaining segments. You can re-embed this second, trimmed version in your main timeline. 

This is your easiest option.

I'm going to suggest you watch and memorize this tutorial. One of your other threads actually contains what ended up as a majority of the script. One of your workflow issues with Hitfilm is you don't seem to understand the construction of and purpose of a Comp Shot (for example your comment about being "unable to merge" a split clip in a Comp shows you don't understand the difference between a TRACK and a LAYER). This entire tutorial is inspired by you, and you are it's target audience.

The key thing here is a Comp represents a virtual video clip, and, just like a video isn't a dynamic, procedural thing that can be remapped to lose frames without having to actually cut said frames, that's going to be the easiest way to trim segments from an existing Comp.

Note; Mods are not FXHOME staff. We're volunteers who quash spam. 

• mortoray

Embedding the comp-shot doesn't work since then the Published values are not properly exported.

I don't see how this question has anything to do with the difference between timelines and comp-shots. Surely one needs to adjust the length of comp-shots as well? Or is there an assumption that we get the timing perfect when we first setup the layers?

It's not a lack of understanding that is the problem, it's the lack of a feature in HitFilm. I'd prefer if this was stated, rather than assuming I don't understand the origin to the two features.

• mortoray

My questions should not have been merged either. Though related, I had two distinct questions related to different uses of the program:

1. I'm interested in creating a composite shot where the animation adapts to the length of the overall sequence, as used in the editor timeline. This is a potentially complex feature request.
    2. I need to remove a segment in the middle of an animation in the composite shot. From the user's viewpoint, this is a relatively minor editing feature request.

Please note, that for the second request. I'm not dealing with movie clips, but with static layers, like text, graphics, and text. Every single one of these can be reduced in length without any ambiguity as to what part of the "clip" to use.

This discussion has been closed.