Help me make this better

MorganStudiosMorganStudios Website User Posts: 46 Just Starting Out

I sort of filmed some stuff and threw it together and tried some different effects with it. I wanna know what you would do to make the effects better, because some of them aren't that great, or how I envisioned them 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-EuhXPuh9M 

Comments

• tddavistddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,175 Moderator

@MorganStudios Not knowing what your original vision of the effects were, watching I thought they represented that the character (you?) was having episodes of off-kilter visions tgat were disturbing to him.  If that was your goal then you succeeded as is :)  speaking of off -kilter you definitely got the creepy, slightly off music down.  I have the same problem with my effects never looking like they did in my mind, but if you get the reaction you want that's what matters, I think.

• triforcefxtriforcefx United StatesModerator, Website User Posts: 1,059 Moderator

I’ll second what @tddavis said. In my opinion the only thing that looked “bad“ was the end of title, but that mostly just needs some minor changes in the animation. That being said, effects can ALWAYS be improved upon, no matter who is doing them and how experienced they are. For example, Industrial Light and Magic has been in the industry for decades. They worked on all the Star Wars films, and for Rogue One, they said they could bring Grand Moff Tarkin back even though his actor had passed away. Even using state of the art technology, it was still noticeable to many people that the character was CG. This is not to undermine their accomplishments, they did some amazing work. It’s just to illustrate that your effects don’t need to be perfect, they just need to be good enough to tell the story- which I think yours do. 

That being said, getting good VFX requires patience, messing around with the compositor, gaining experience, and continually tweaking your settings. Keep on studying Hitfilm, analyze others’ work, and don’t be afraid to try new things!