The Human Resistance

HighStandardsArt
HighStandardsArt Website User Posts: 7
I'm making a web series about some clueless boys who become some of the last survivors of an alien invasion. The first episode is very short and was done in a very run and gun style. I had a goal to make the entire video with only HitFilm and Ableton Live for the song in only a week, so I know it's not perfect. Any constructive criticism would be appreciated.

Here's the video:

Comments

• LiamMrK2
    LiamMrK2 Website User Posts: 77
    I like the idea, and a lot of the scenes were good, but up until the middle part it kind of seemed like a trailer or ad for a show instead of an episode. The clips didn't have too much of a correlation, so it would go from dialogue to the exploding ring (aka VFX shot), without necessarily showing the location of the actors. So, basically a few shots could've been added to connect ideas. I noticed the long dialogue scene when the two boys are on the ground, one of the boys was speaking, but out of frame, you usually want to have the speaker in frame and possibly cut clip when in an action (aka getting up from the ground).
    Not a lot of explanation in the video itself.
    I personally did like the effect in the bottom right hand corner of the screen where the boy says "Mom, dad?" and then the body falls through the ring explosion & and glowing planes.
    The stabilization in the one clip where one of the boys is talking to the other on the phone was distracting. The method to stabilize is a little bit harder than dropping a track on there, and you can find tutorials of motion tracking & stabilization on youtube.
    Overall pretty good for a first episode.
  • HighStandardsArt
    I like the idea, and a lot of the scenes were good, but up until the middle part it kind of seemed like a trailer or ad for a show instead of an episode. The clips didn't have too much of a correlation, so it would go from dialogue to the exploding ring (aka VFX shot), without necessarily showing the location of the actors. So, basically a few shots could've been added to connect ideas. I noticed the long dialogue scene when the two boys are on the ground, one of the boys was speaking, but out of frame, you usually want to have the speaker in frame and possibly cut clip when in an action (aka getting up from the ground).
    Not a lot of explanation in the video itself.
    I personally did like the effect in the bottom right hand corner of the screen where the boy says "Mom, dad?" and then the body falls through the ring explosion & and glowing planes.
    The stabilization in the one clip where one of the boys is talking to the other on the phone was distracting. The method to stabilize is a little bit harder than dropping a track on there, and you can find tutorials of motion tracking & stabilization on youtube.
    Overall pretty good for a first episode.

I agree with everything you said. Thank you for taking the time to write such a good overview. (I love the Hitfilm community!) The stablization error I made bugs me too. Another thing I would add is that I should have used my shotgun mic in the long scene.  We will be filming the next episode this Friday and Saturday. Do you have any tips or ideas to help improve episode 2?

• StormyKnight
    StormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,722 Ambassador
    edited March 2014
    Over all, fun to watch but the middle part felt a little disjointed, as mentioned already.
    I would say the weakest scene was the bike scene (12 - 20 secs in) only because it was difficult to make anything out beyond the rider....especially the second shot as he rides away. One thing you may want to experiment with is the Day For Night color grade for future night time shots. It would give you control over how dark to make the scene in post and you don't have to actually shoot at night with insufficient lighting.
    I recently filmed a retirement vid in which at one part it breaks into a guy in a small windowless room with a flashlight begging for the retiree to come back to work. We used an LED flashlight which did not give the desired effect as it was way too bright- it was supposed to look like the obligatory flashlight under the face like telling ghost stories at a camp fire. Instead, the whole room was lit up. In post, I added a Day For Night grade layer and was able to come up with a nice happy medium where you could see the light play on his face and got the rest of the room to look dark around him.
    With this technique, you could let the viewer see if you're out in the county somewhere (were you on a farm?- almost looks like a barn in the background) or in a neighborhood in a city. Just a thought.
    Looking forward to the next installment! :) 
  • HighStandardsArt
    Over all, fun to watch but the middle part felt a little disjointed, as mentioned already.
    I would say the weakest scene was the bike scene (12 - 20 secs in) only because it was difficult to make anything out beyond the rider....especially the second shot as he rides away. One thing you may want to experiment with is the Day For Night color grade for future night time shots. It would give you control over how dark to make the scene in post and you don't have to actually shoot at night with insufficient lighting.
    I recently filmed a retirement vid in which at one part it breaks into a guy in a small windowless room with a flashlight begging for the retiree to come back to work. We used an LED flashlight which did not give the desired effect as it was way too bright- it was supposed to look like the obligatory flashlight under the face like telling ghost stories at a camp fire. Instead, the whole room was lit up. In post, I added a Day For Night grade layer and was able to come up with a nice happy medium where you could see the light play on his face and got the rest of the room to look dark around him.
    With this technique, you could let the viewer see if you're out in the county somewhere (were you on a farm?- almost looks like a barn in the background) or in a neighborhood in a city. Just a thought.
    Looking forward to the next installment! :)
    Thanks! Right before I read this I was making phone calls to see if everyone could get together to film the next episode during the day so I could do a day for night effect. Glad to see I made the right choice!

We were out on a friends land in the suburbs of Phoenix, Arizona. I think the building you thought was a barn is the Mormon temple.

Is this what you're talking about?
    [attachment=878:Screenshot_2014-03-31-15-34-41.png]
  • HighStandardsArt
    A quick update on the next episode for anyone interested. Almost half of my actors caught the Flu, so filming for the next episode will be pushed back one or two weeks. I'm using this extra time to storyboard and make a shot list. Hopefully everyone will be healthy and ready to shoot next week!