Needed Critique: How badly color matched is this video? (From a Color Blind Editor)

HictorHictor Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 326 Enthusiast
edited August 2019 in Show off

Just to make things clear, the video was accepted by the client without a fuss, but colleagues have made note of a few issues, although I get the sense that there's more to what they say when what they're being honest about.

I have a Strong Deutan Color Blind condition in which my red & greens are, well, .quite bland. In fact, I"m off to see my local optic store in a few minutes to go see if I can get, not only chroma glasses, but those that can fit my ridiculous prescription. Yes, I do scopes.

https://youtu.be/7tUTljrhXcU

I want two things: Honest feedback,  and (if anyone else is dealing with this issue) possible suggestions.

FYI: This is a Money Heist inspired instagram promo for a gym.

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,245 Ambassador

Yes, you are getting a lot of red/green shift between shots, mostly on skin. 

That said, the entire ad has a bit of a 70's retro vibe, and the color shifts played into that vibe. A great, seedy, "exploitation movie" look. The color shifts didn't "bother" me, and, if you'd not said anything, I'd have assumed deliberate choice.

Two quick Scopes notes. First, remember you can set a selection box to limit the range read by the Scope. That will let you dial in on something specific - like skin. Second, remember the Vectorscope has a "skin line." Combined with the bounding box, you can really dial in on skin.

Skin tones and foliage are the two things that jump out most in color shifts. If skin is consistent, people will ignore a minor shift in a shirt. 

• HictorHictor Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 326 Enthusiast

@Triem23 Saved my life. I didn't know this.

I made the down payment for the glasses already :( But eh. Maybe it'll help me appreciate other things. 

That being said...Wouldn't it be cool if FXhome developed a "Preview Color Profile" for color blind people? 

I mean, there are 5 types of color blindness, all very well documented. 4 of which can be addressed with lenses that are essentially a mix of complimentary colors.

So imagine if Hitfilm in the future has a "Color Blind Profile Feature" ----> Strong Deutan (my color blindness case)

@JoshDaviesCEO An idea for you sir. I don't think any NLE in the world has this yet. And its a simple implementation (I would think)

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,245 Ambassador

@IamJoshuaDavies recently changed his user name. Just noticed an hour ago, myself. 

So, retagging for you. 

I'm 98% sure my tutorial on Scopes on the FXHOME YouTube channel covers the controls for limiting the Scopes area. I'm 90% certain you need to use the "Effects" version of Scopes, not the Scopes panel to do it.

https://www.manula.com/manuals/fxhome/hitfilm-pro/13/en/topic/scopes?q=Scopes

• tddavistddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,175 Moderator

@Hictor I agree with Triem23.  I would not have thought anything off the color scheme other than an artistic choice if you hadn't framed it beforehand.  It did have a vibe that he said that played into the narrative.  I can see why they accepted it without hesitation.

• HictorHictor Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 326 Enthusiast

@tddavis I appreciate your input.

I'm just a little concerned for situations where I'm not the one shooting the footage, and there's no reference for white balance. These subtle details are easy to miss. As far scopes went, I relied exclusively on RGB Parades & Histogram, thinking that Vector is  just for people concerned about old TV sets. (Where I live, population is rotten spoiled with OLED/LCD/etc)

But in all my years, I failed to recognize or may have heard in passing that Vector Scopes were good skin! 

Outside of what Triem just told me, if the situation called for it, I'd have to rely on old traditional techniques that were typcially used in Photoshop that were along the lines of standardizing your colors first via references from properly exposed images.