Noob Question Regarding Image Borders

Ty GTy G Website User Posts: 1
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I couldn't find anything about it in the reference manual. I'm trying to add lighting effects to an image I imported, but the effects won't extend beyond the original border of the image. I tried adding a larger mask, but even then the effects are still limited to within the original border.
Attached is an example of what I mean. As you can see, the "gleam" effect gets cut off at the imported image's border. Ideally, it would extend to the whole screen. How do I fix this?
Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,295 Ambassador
    Note that all the effects that generate pixels on a layer will stop at the layer edge (effects like Light Flares, Light Rays, Gleam, etc, etc) As Win said, in this case, put the image into a comp shot, then apply the effect to the embedded comp--you could also try putting gleam on a grade above the graphic element.
    For effects like Light Flares, Rays, gleam, if you want them to animate in 3D, what you do is leave the layer as a 2D layer, then create a 3D point and parent the Hotspot/Center of the Flare/Rays/Gleam to the 3D point. You can now move the 3D point around and the effect will basically behave as if it's 3D space, even though it's applied to a 2D layer.