Hercules

MichaelJames
MichaelJames Website User Posts: 2,038 Enthusiast
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JZhGYrgCPg

I thought this was going to look better bu this first trailer has me kind of meh.  Soundtrack interesting... visuals ok...I got a feeling like the skimped on the budget for soldiers... The swamp scene seems campy...
I dunno, maybe things are too bright or i just hate the lion head scene..  The Boar scene.... and the exit title just seemed meh.

Comments

• SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    Nice lion hat!
    Too many CG creatures kills this for me.
  • KirstieT
    KirstieT Staff Administrator, Moderator, Website User Posts: 1,070 Staff
    Don't quite know what to think. Seems like a visual mashup of the 300 films, the new NOAH and contains a lot of the typical patterns of those kinds of films. But I guess if you're doing something taking place at that time, there's going to be a lot of similar looking army scenes etc. The ending of I AM HERCULES again reminded me a little too much of I AM SPARTACUS - but I'm doing too much comparison here :)
    A bit disappointed by this - but I think the scene with the lion rescued it. That was beautiful.
  • MichaelJames
    The call back to 300 is understandable... I also think back to the animated Beowulf. 
  • AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,247 Staff
  • MatthiasClaflin
    MatthiasClaflin Website User Posts: 674 Just Starting Out
    edited March 2014
    I agree with Simon. Too many CGI creatures will end up killing this for me. Although, I do really like the look the Rock has. He doesn't look like his typical self. Definitely got much more into character for this film (and I don't just mean the hair.)
  • HybridHalo
    HybridHalo Website User Posts: 56 Enthusiast
    edited April 2014
    It'd be difficult to address the myth of Hercule's 7 trials without CG creatures, wouldn't it?
  • AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,247 Staff
    Weren't there 12 trials/labours?  Or did some of them get rejected on reexamination, like Pluto?
  • MatthiasClaflin
    MatthiasClaflin Website User Posts: 674 Just Starting Out
    It'd be difficult to address the myth of Hercule's 7 trials without CG creatures, wouldn't it?

Wouldn't you say the same about Jurassic Park? I'm not saying they should use animatronix, but it would be nice to see something different. As long as the CG is really good, I guess I'd dismiss it.

• MichaelJames
    Animatronics and puppets are lost arts in filmmaking. 
  • Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,381 Ambassador
    Not entirely. There's a fair amount of anamatronics with digital enhancement. And "Muppets Most Wanted," of course is puppets with a lot of wire removal.
  • MichaelJames
    Lol I don't count muppets in filmmaking
  • AxelWilkinson
    Well, if you don't count movies that use animatronics and puppets, its easy to consider animatronics and puppets a lost art.
  • SimonKJones
    Why would you not count muppets? Collectively they have some of the best puppetry work ever put on film, and the latest films use a really innovative mix of puppetry and CGI.
    If you think animatronics to be a lost art, you clearly haven't been watching any Guillermo del Toro films. :)
  • AxelWilkinson
    Or Real Steel, which used 13 full-sized animatronic robots.  And some CG, too, of course, but there was some fantastic animatronics there.
  • MichaelJames
    @Simon and Axel and I'm a huge fan or Fascape and movies that use puppetry... I just dont count sesame street or the Muppets because that content stopped appealing to me personally.  I should of added more of a qualifier but its a personal opinion and not factual. Just like the filmmakers and fans who don't count Michael Bay explosion orgies or as you may call them movies, as good movies or of merit.
  • StormyKnight
    StormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,729 Ambassador
    Lol I don't count muppets in filmmaking

Sorry MJ, but as one who has had the nickname of one of the muppets, and I have had it for over 30 years, I gotta say......
    Boooooooooo!
    .........to your comment. ;) wocka, wocka, wocka
  • StormyKnight
    StormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,729 Ambassador
    edited April 2014
    @Simon and Axel and I'm a huge fan or Fascape and movies that use puppetry... I just dont count sesame street or the Muppets because that content stopped appealing to me personally.  I should of added more of a qualifier but its a personal opinion and not factual. Just like the filmmakers and fans who don't count Michael Bay explosion orgies or as you may call them movies, as good movies or of merit.

Farscape was a Jim Henson production. Those weren't puppets in Farscape- they were/are animatronic muppets.
    The original Yoda was a P/Muppet. The most sophisticated one at the time.
    What's the difference between a muppet and puppet anyway? They are so closely related. I think it's the hands that make the distinction. Rigel could grab things, Yoda could grab things- puppets can't grab things by traditional definition.
    Muppet is a term that is just a cross between marionette and puppet anyway.
  • SimonKJones
    Although he's clearly a puppet while watching with adult eyes, the actual performance Frank Oz got out of the Yoda puppet (and his voice work) is still absolutely astonishing.
  • StormyKnight
    edited April 2014
    Although he's clearly a puppet while watching with adult eyes, the actual performance Frank Oz got out of the Yoda puppet (and his voice work) is still absolutely astonishing.

Yoda's not real? Dang it, Simon. Shattering all my illusions. :)
    I couldn't agree with you more. I was sad when they used a CG Yoda. Just not the same even though it looked convincing. Still, the interaction between two real objects i.e. puppet Yoda & Mark Hamill will always look better, IMHO, than a CG Jar-Jar and Liam Neeson interaction.....and not just because of the height mistake.
  • HybridHalo
    HybridHalo Website User Posts: 56 Enthusiast
    Still, the interaction between two real objects i.e. puppet Yoda & Mark Hamill will always look better, IMHO, than a CG Jar-Jar and Liam Neeson interaction.....and not just because of the height mistake.

Nah, I disagree. There are already examples of VFX which cross the uncanny valley and are entirely believable. It's only a matter of time and technological progress before you can't distinguish a completely CG actor from a real one.

• SimonKJones
    It's the same thing I always bring up when people moan about CG. CG can be wonderful and there are many cases already where it works perfectly.
    The problem is that a not-perfect physical model still has the benefit of being a physical thing. The Yoda puppet at no point looks realistic, ever. But it still has a superb performance, and has the bonus of being a physical, real thing. That's enough for the human brain to spend disbelief. You know it ain't real, but it's closer to the overall movie fiction experience of disbelief suspension - eg, you know that Chris Hemsworth isn't REALLY a Norse god, but his performance is good enough for you to believe it for a couple of hours. Same goes for a puppet.
    When you have not-perfect CG, is doubly suffers because it doesn't have a real, physical presence. So not only is it not realistic, you are also very aware that's it not there at all. It's not even a thing. At which point it's very difficult to suspend disbelief, and the effect ultimately fails.
    However, if you have perfect CG (or perfect miniatures/puppets/etc), then it's superb. And perfect CG *can* accomplish far more than perfect practical/puppet/miniature effects. It can do things that would be impossible, too time consuming or too expensive to do practically.
    TL;DR: puppets and practical effects scale better in terms of quality than CG. But both can be superb and story-enhancing when done right.