Adding table

Vagabonding101Vagabonding101 Website User Posts: 50

Hi y'all!!

This shot started as a chance to mess with the new camera tracker, but for this shot, it didn't track very well and was slipping a lot, I ended up tracking in Mocha which actually ended up working great. I decided to add a wooden table to the shot. This is the first time I've ever been able to take the time and fully composite a 3d model. It's not the best, but I think a pretty big part of that was the model. I grabbed it offline so only the diffuse and normal maps were working, so no bump maps, which is pretty vital for wood textures. Lighting could be better, but I threw it together in about 1 1/2 hours. Please, let me know what you think could improve this shot!! Constructive criticism is welcome and very much appreciated.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eNxWvd3JBstYEeXTDCzuBTn2ih9g5yx0/view?usp=sharing

Comments

• spydurhankspydurhank Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,823 Ambassador

The Mocha match move is really, really good.

Your shadows are just about perfect, most folks make shadows black which look very cgi but lowering the shadow opacity and softening them as you did makes them look just a tiny bit more like path traced shadows with global illumination. Mind you they're not entirely realistic but you've done an excellent job. Maybe add a tiny bit of ambient occlusion but only a tiny bit because the diffuse textures look like they already have some lighting info baked in to them like just about any 3D object which you may acquire online. 

I know a trick to enhance what you've done to the shadows to make them look like actual path tracing in Hitfilm but I never really recommend it to anyone because it involves some manual set reconstruction to kind of fake global illumination and path tracing bounces in Hitfilm. The only problem with it is that it is insanely render intensive and render times go up over 200% so I'm not even gonna touch that.

You don't need to worry about normal or bump maps for this particular shot because your camera never gets near enough to the 3D object to warrant their visibility and honestly, it will look a lot less realistic if you start trying to get the normal map to be more visible because as I said, your 3D objects diffuse texture seems to have AO baked into the wood grain so trying to tweak that will make the baked AO way too dark or way too bright depending on what you do.

You did really good with what you've got and as you said, the mesh object has issues and the best you can do in the moment is work with what you've got and you did very well. :)

Frank