Oculus rift now Facebook owned.

MichaelJames
MichaelJames Website User Posts: 2,034 Enthusiast

Comments

• SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,448 Enthusiast
    It's been very interesting over the last 12 hours to see the outpouring of negativity towards the Facebook acquisition. Few people seem to be explaining why they don't like it, but as as gut feeling it's definitely there.
    This blog post kinda summed it up for me: http://blog.maxistentialism.com/post/80746371945/facebook-announced-that-they-bought-virtual
  • MichaelJames
    I know exactly why I dislike this idea... Facebook needs to fade gracefully into the night and not pull other companies in to its fold to survive a little longer.  Can we get the next social network that does everything facebook does but slightly better and a lot less annoying?  Facebook is quick to merge things in and start rebranding it.  I just want walls between some things.
  • MarcDraco
    MarcDraco Website User Posts: 37
    Completely agree with Michael. Facebook (like Google) is buying every bit of tech that it can - and that's never a good thing.
  • MichaelJames
    I am a little more fine with Google doing it because they are the underdog in a lot of businesses and are really innovating products.  I dropped using my standard SMS messenger on the Galaxy S3 a couple weeks ago for google hangout.  I'll probably turn away from google if they ever become king in the social media circle.  I trust the underdog because they can only rise, while the king can only fall.
    If I can find a good windows phone(when they start getting enough apps and are on Verizon) and get a premium windows tablet that will probably hasten my switch.
  • NullUnit
    NullUnit Website User Posts: 791 Just Starting Out
    edited March 2014
    It sucks because the Oculus Rift was open source and had the promise of lots of cool independent software being developed for it. Now... I doubt that will be the case. I was excited about the oculus, now thats been damped down a bit. I dont want to use the oculus for social networking. 
  • SimonKJones
    I love the idea of describing Google as an 'underdog'. Madness.
    I do agree that I'm generally more OK with Google buying stuff, though, mainly because they have a history of innovation and trying exciting new things. Facebook has no history of doing anything innovative beyond their initial base concept.
  • MichaelJames
    Google maybe everywhere but in terms of social media and that overarching feeling of controlling your life... that actually doesn't apply to most people.  If you are an apple or windows user  you could very easily not use Google products.  Facebook is the bridge to many platforms, websites and products that unfortunately requires giving facebook permission.  When it comes to Google, even if you want to use Youtube... you could just not sign in.  Even Microsoft is technically the underdog in some of its products.  Lol like email accounts, social networking, phones, music players, everything thats not Xbox, window or the Office Suite.
  • SimonKJones
    I wouldn't say Microsoft are the underdog. It's more that they tend to follow other companies' innovations a few years later with something a bit crap. That's not so much about being the underdog and more about being...a bit crap.
    In terms of general insertion into people's lives, bear in mind 'googling' is quite an established verb these days.
  • Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,601 Ambassador
    edited March 2014
    Although Google Hangouts is part of Google+, and, of course Google+ is Google's data-mine-disguised-as-social-network, and it's become much more evil.... Yes, you can watch videos on YouTube without a login, but as Hitfilm users we have to post. We probably comment. That requires a Google+ login.
    Google isn't quite as much a champion of open source as they claim. When Google does an "official" app, they kill the open-source version (Google has stopped development on it's SMS app, for example. They made it suck so users would switch to Hangouts... Part of the data mine...), and, recently, Google has shifted to a model where developers who don't use the official Google API's and do everything to Google specs get no Google support--like Google Play distribution.
    Am I the only one NOT surprised Oculus Rift sold out, btw?
    What could be a better social network than Facebook? I remember a social network that didn't data mine, that allowed private messaging, chat, general broadcasting, allowed you to customize the layout of your individual page, didn't have intrusive games and mandatory ads, and had Terms of Service guaranteeing the copyright of the poster, rather than claiming usage rights in perpetuity. That network was called MySpace, and was the best around.
    People abandoned MySpace. Why? Well, it didn't have the "plug-in app" structure that turned Facebook into a string of game updates and ads... So, one day, everyone decided MySpace was uncool.
    As a side note, I assume the FXhome crew is aware that, as a commercial page, any Facebook posts you do are seen by a maximum of 7 percent of your subscribers, unless you pay Facebook? I NEVER see your Facebook posts in my feed, and am mostly aware of them from the links on this forum.
  • Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,601 Ambassador

I wouldn't say Microsoft are the underdog. It's more that they tend to follow other companies' innovations a few years later with something a bit crap. That's not so much about being the underdog and more about being...a bit crap.
    In terms of general insertion into people's lives, bear in mind 'googling' is quite an established verb these days.
    In the case of Windows 8/8.1, a LOT crap!
    Of course Apple's innovation is watching what other companies do for a few years, doing an improved version, then buying the original patents to sue the bejeezus out of everyone. Or, giving a new, flashy name to old tech: if you say "Airport" to me, you'd better be talking about passengers and planes--otherwise it's "Wi-Fi." And don't say "retina display" like that means anything special.
  • SimonKJones
    Triem - yeah, Facebook is vastly different now to even 12 months back. As a promotional platform it's far less useful to us (and presumably everybody else) without some serious expenditure. In truth, Facebook is no longer a social platform: it's entirely an advertising billboard now. Which is part of why I'm considering leaving it (in a personal capacity; it's still useful as a marketing tool).
    Tooshka - Windows is a pretty amazing OS, considering the range of hardware it has to handle. It's a bit of a miracle, really. And Windows 7 is probably my all-time favourite OS. The problem is that Microsoft haven't really led on anything since the 90s, and seem to be losing ground in just about every area (OS, Office, consoles, phones).
  • Triem23
    edited March 2014
    Xbox pwning Sony is debatable--during the initial Xbox 360/Ps 3/Wii years media reports had Sony in 3'rd placed based on console sales--of course X-box 360 and PS3 cost more to make and ship than they were sold for...
    A few years later it was noted that the average Wii owner bought 3 games, the average Xbox 360 owner bought 12 games and the average PS3 owner bought 25 games. By the time of the Xbox 720/PS4 launch many media outlets looked back at the 360/ps3 generation and realized, to their surprise, that Sony actually made the most $$$ in the last generation...
    I only have to use Windows 8 machines for work, and I confess--I despise it. This is mostly due to Microsoft taking all the menu options that actually tune and customize and troubleshoot the system and making them much harder to find. Oh, and Metro. Sad, sad Metro...
  • MichaelJames
    @Triem23 and Tooshka... No mention of Nintendo destroying boy Sony and Xbox by making a fun low powered machine that seemed to print money? :)  The average Wii owner may of only bought 3 games... but there were a significant amount of Wii's that were sold. 
    We can get in to a Microsoft versus Apple fight for days... but we will never convince each other that Windows is the OBVIOUS superior platform. 
    I think im out of gas for this fire.  I can't spend any more money for more gas because I am flying to Charleston SC tomorrow to begin my life anew. 
    @Simon I loved windows 7 and Windows 8 to me seemed like windows 7.5 but it was worth the upgrade for me.   I give Apple the prize of style but then again they make their own systems.  Windows can anything from the most impressive beastly system to the ugliest worst system ever that will have nothing but errors. To me Microsoft is the underdog because people started rejecting the idea of a microsoft world a long time ago, which allowed everyone else to excel.
  • Triem23
    @MichaelJames.I did mention Nintendo. They sold a lot of Wii. They made a certain amount of money from that, but, assuming most games are purchased new, for about $50, Nintendo sold $150 in software, Microsoft $600 and Sony $1250 per user. Obviously this is way oversimplified, and I am not trying to account for hardware pricing changes and other peripherals, but, yeah, in the final tally Sony quietly "won" the last console generation.
    CHARLSTON? Is this a MOVE or VISIT? Given your obvious ambitions, I would have thought you'd stay in SoCal, or move to another "Industry" town.
    Either way, safe voyage!
  • MichaelJames

Lol well the Wii printed money since day 1 and sold 100 million units as of 12.31.13.  Sony and Microsoft sold their consoles at major losses for a long time.  PS3 was a -100 loss for a while.  Also, when did those systems really take off on sales?  Much later in life.  PS3 started getting good in the last 2 years and 360 in the last 5.  Sony spent billions to develop the bluray and then get everyone on board and win a very expensive format war.  Sony's quiet win isn't a win.  It was a bloody stretch of nothing but losses.  Nintendo out values Sony because Nintendo is sitting on 11 billion dollars of cash from winning.  Sony is hemorrhaging a lot less these days. I love my bluray collection and my hd dvd collection;) but streaming is still king... No reason why blurays are overpriced at 30 dollars still.  I only buy blurays when I can get them less then dvds through price matching and sales.
    I am moving to Charleston to become a police officer.  I can still work on my ambitions out there and have already been looking into the film community out there.  Its just the point where money rules everything.  So I will use the next couple months to write and develop projects and 18 weeks from Monday when I am done with the academy I will fly back to SD to get my camera and then kick butt in filming on my 3 days off a week:).  There are some departments where I could work 3 12 hour days which would of been ideal.  A lot of good filming locations out there.  :)

• Triem23
    Well, good luck with your move! This means you'll never get that "Hey, in SD for Comic-Con, wanna grab a bite while I am there and talk film?" message.
  • MichaelJames
    Not this year anyways.  The nice thing is after a year transferring is easy.
  • SimonKJones
    The Wii is interesting. I'm not sure it destroyed Sony and Microsoft, because it felt like it kinda splintered off and did its own thing, finding a whole new load of customers and proto-gamers who had never bought a console before. Long-term, the Wii success doesn't seem to have translated into Wii U success, which is a real shame. Whereas the PS3 and Xbox 360 seem to have provided decent springboards into their next-gen follow-ups for Sony and MS.