using 60 fps as slow motion in a 24 fps film? Help Me

I know this is a question asked over and over but I still don't understand it after scowering the internet for hours looking for an answer that makes sense.

I want to make a film (2 minutes long at most) in 24 fps and 720 x 1280. I will shoot certain shots in 24 fps but throughout the film there are several shots in slow motion which I would like to shoot at 60 fps or 120 fps (haven't decided yet). I am confused on how that would work in hitfilm. Would I just shoot and import the clips into a project set at 24 fps and 720 x 1280 slow down the clips that are supposed to be slow and then export in 24 fps or would it have to be done in a different way?

Also, If I just converted the 60 fps footage to 24 fps before editing could I still slow it down and it still give off the same look?

I know it sounds like something that I can just go out and spend a day or two testing and figuring out but I do not have the camera that can shoot 60 fps or 120 fps yet. So I just want to know how it should be done before the camera gets here.

Comments

• AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,242 Staff
    edited March 2014
    Here's how it works:
    • Shoot the footage in 60p for slow motion.
    • Create your HitFilm project at 24 fps.
    • In the media panel, open the Properties for your 60p footage by clicking the cog.
    • Untick the "From file" tickbox next to the Frame Rate, and change it from 60p to 24p.  This doesn't affect any of the actual frames in the footage, it just tells HitFilm how many of them should be displayed each second.
    • Add your footage to the timeline, and it will play at 40% speed.
    Thats it.  There are no effects involved in this technique, its just a matter of playing the footage at a different framerate than it was captured at, to slow it down.
  • JeffreyDotyJeffreyDoty Website User Posts: 3
    Here's how it works:
    • Shoot the footage in 60p for slow motion.
    • Create your HitFilm project at 24 fps.
    • In the media panel, open the Properties for your 60p footage by clicking the cog.
    • Untick the "From file" tickbox next to the Frame Rate, and change it from 60p to 24p.  This doesn't affect any of the actual frames in the footage, it just tells HitFilm how many of them should be displayed each second.
    • Add your footage to the timeline, and it will play at 40% speed.
    Thats it.  There are no effects involved in this technique, its just a matter of playing the footage at a different framerate than it was captured at, to slow it down.

I just want to thank you for responding so quickly and having also made so much sense! I cannot wait to start shooting tests and figuring out how I will do it for the film when my camera gets here! You saved me days of frustration... :D