Hitfilm 2 Express and Blender. Hornet VFX Breakdown!!

Cyreda
Cyreda Website User Posts: 17
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERL_uaqiXmk&feature=youtu.be
Give me feedback and opinions! What would i have to improve on?
Ps. I know the explosion was not that good. :)

Comments

• StormyKnight
    StormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,722 Ambassador
    You mean this wasn't real? ;) 
    Looks good to me- except the explosion which is a little elongated. The sound was great as was the rest of the composite.
  • Cyreda
    edited March 2014
    haha thank you :) The explosion was one of my first attempts at blender's smoke simulator.
    I used Blender for matte painting and hornet animations. Express version unfortunately does not have any way to use white planes as masks, as you can in ultimate using "set matte". Gladly Blender is free, and has WAY better animation functionality compared to hitfilm 2 ultimate, and the compositor is powerful enough to create 2d matte paintings.
    Everything was put together using hitfilm 2.
  • Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,833 Ambassador
    Yeah, what Stormy said--overall this looks really nice. The image has good color and depth, you did a very nice job compositing all the elements together. The explosion, besides being a little elongated is also a little fast, given the size of the explosion at that distance, but this is shaping up to be a really nice shot! (And, fire, smoke, water and explosions are just the four hardest things to fake anyway.)
    Special kudos for a couple of things--you did your lightning right; too many people have lightning strikes lingering for 5-8 frames instead of just 1, and you got in the flash illuminating all the clouds surrounding as well. Also, delaying the sound of the explosion. Films love to synch up sound effects with far distant effects, ignoring the relatively low speed of sound, so I always appreciate a good delay. :-)
  • Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,833 Ambassador
    Express version unfortunately does not have any way to use white planes as masks, as you can in ultimate using "set matte".

Well, I happen to have both Express and Ultimate, and, while Express doesn't have the "Set Matte." effect, it DOES have a built in Luminance Key, which you could use to use to mask white planes. (I'm looking at it right now.)
    The "Set Matte" effect in Ultimate is nice--it combines the functionality of Luma, Alpha and Chroma key into a single interface, and adds a couple of extra bells and whistles that make it easier to use, but Express does have separate effects for Chroma, Luma and Difference keying, and the extra effects in the "Matte Enhancement" subfolder have the extra bells and whistles of Set Matte, along with it's own specialized filters. It just takes an extra step in Express.
    Hope this helps.

• Cyreda
    edited March 2014
    Well, I happen to have both Express and Ultimate, and, while Express doesn't have the "Set Matte." effect, it DOES have a built in Luminance Key, which you could use to use to mask white planes. (I'm looking at it right now.)
    The "Set Matte" effect in Ultimate is nice--it combines the functionality of Luma, Alpha and Chroma key into a single interface, and adds a couple of extra bells and whistles that make it easier to use, but Express does have separate effects for Chroma, Luma and Difference keying, and the extra effects in the "Matte Enhancement" subfolder have the extra bells and whistles of Set Matte, along with it's own specialized filters. It just takes an extra step in Express.
    Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info. Anyway though i tried using the luma key for my plate footage. The attempt was a failure because the sky and the ground (water ice buildings etc.) had the same contrast and the same colour as well. So i could not get a clean mask by doing that (losing alot of detail in both sky and ground). So what i did was i made the matte using Hitfilm's Luma Key and then used a new comp to track white planes and black planes to make all the errors disappear. Then i exported the matte as png sequence and used Blender for changing the sky, using alpha over method. It does the same thing as "set matte" in ultimate.
    So in other words i made the black and white video plate in hitfilm, and composited that new sky in blender. :)
    Using Blender for that is not that easy though. First you have to track 2 points, then send them as empties to a 3D view, set your camera as orthographic so there is no perspective, then create a bone and parent both ends to the empties, import your sky image as a plane and parent it to the bone. Then just scale it so it would not go out of borders.
    Then you can go into compositor and use the matte sequence to make it look right, then just adjust the sky color to make it blend into the scene.

• JoeyVFX
    JoeyVFX Website User Posts: 38
    I thought this looked great! Nice work.