disintegration proof of concept

Mistery1307
Mistery1307 Posts: 177 Just Starting Out*

I think the main problem is that it all disintegrates too fast. Like all the body parts disintegrate in less than 20 frames, especially the arm, anything else I should do?

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,077 Ambassador

Is this particle sim, shatter or Atomic Particles? I'm guessing it's the sim or atomic?

Depends on what you're doing. As a disintegration, it's pretty good and has a nice swirl. There are all kinds of sci-fi properties where a 10-20 frame disintegration is used. If you're doing more of a "Thanos Snap," then, yeah, it's too fast, but advice will depend on knowing more how you set up the effect. 

• FilmSensei
    FilmSensei Posts: 3,108 Expert

It looks to me like Production Crate stock footage assets. Is there also an added particle sim?

• Mistery1307
    Mistery1307 Posts: 177 Just Starting Out*

I didn't just use ProductionCrate assets, I modified the ProductionCrate After Effects tutorial to work with HitFilm, (main reason it doesn't look like trash) I saved the whole thing here. I mean, remaking an effect has to take some creative value, right? It's too fast because I assumed most things would disappear in 15 frames or less, I have learned now that a general rule of thumb is a second or more, depending on the situation. If you go frame-by-frame, you'll spot how there's an inside and an outside to each body part, it's just too fast to notice in real time. @FilmSensei @Triem23

• FilmSensei
    FilmSensei Posts: 3,108 Expert

I thought I recognized the footage. Nice job of integrating the particle sim. I agree that it is a little too fast, otherwise, it looks good!

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,077 Ambassador

@Mistery1307 remaking an effect, especially when jumping across software (converting Ae to Hitfilm) does have value. Everyone - EVERYONE - first learns by remaking looks. Then the next step is modifying the effect to change it up a bit - but you jumped past that into making up your own... Like your Tron de-rez.

Ok, so this is more of a Thanos Snap? Try adjusting the keys on your fractal noise to extend the disintegration? I'm not a Production Crate sub, so I'm not overly familiar with their assets.