Complete the sentence: You know you're addicted to Hitfilm when:

MarcDraco
MarcDraco Website User Posts: 37
I my case it was when I realised that I could finally finish a project that I've been working on for months.
I have legally bought copies of After Effects CS4, Motion and a bunch of other stuff, but Premier CS4 in particular is very unstable and only 32bit. iMovie (Apple, Mac only) is too clumsy for a project of this size which has nearly 200Gb of assets; shot on five different cameras with four different frame rates, four different resolutions, three container formats and no notable colour space at all!
With Hitfilm Express, I put a working rough cut together in just a couple of weeks and while I've had to outsource some of the more tricky SFX and animation to Motion and After Effects, it's Hitfilm that made the thing possible; and for that I'm eternally grateful.
It's now the first part of my armoury and I look forward to using it more in the future - I'm a convert and look forward to getting my sticky little fingers on the Ultimate Edition.
Marc

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,833 Ambassador
    Can't answer now--Still waiting for my current Hitfilm render to finish so i can see it! ;-)
  • SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,448 Enthusiast
    Hey Marco! Great to hear that HitFilm Express helped you finish your project. That's what these kind of tools should always be about, after all.
    The fact I continue playing with HitFilm outside of work, despite working with it one way or another during the work day, says a lot to how much I like the product. Makes my job in the marketing department considerably easier when I genuinely love the product. :)
    An interesting point for me came when Other Leading Compositors started to feel very clunky in comparison. I'm very, very tuned in to HF now.
  • MarcDraco
    Thanks Simon, well as of just now, I am now the proud licence of HF Ultimate 2.
    YEAH!
    I love your tutorials, too. Simon - involving and clear.
    Ady, who has been enormous help, will tell you a bit more about my background and you might understand what I mean when I say people come to me for advice on what to buy - and for most, it's going to be Express or Ultimate - rather than Adobe CC.
    I say that without reservation too.
    After Effects has a place - I have legal CS4 which is stuck in the 32-bit dark ages and Premier CS4 is laughably bad in comparison.
    After Effect is great for things that HF can't currently do - primarily in areas like key framing graphs, motion paths and stuff like that - although it could be that they are there and I've missed them.
    I'm just itching to use the particle generator: I don't have Trapcode Particular and when I saw the cost I figured HFU was a better bet all around - given that it covers both that AND Element 3D's functionality for a lot less money.
    It's also nicer to use. 
    I mentioned Blender on Youtube today and committed the cardinal sin - I said it's awful.
    OK, I know HFU isn't a modeller - but I don't need a modeller, I need to be able to import and USE 3D models.
    Blender might well be powerful, freel (ya-de-ya) but it's as friendly as rabid skunk with a migraine; and about as easy to use.
    For me at least, I'd rather use anything BUT Blender: and believe me, I've tried. I've tried modelling, animating, rendering, camera tracking you name it and failed every time.
    Andrew Price (Blender Guru) tried but failed at the first hurdle - the users.
    This is the problem when OpenSource gets as big as Blender has - it becomes unmanageable because any necessary change is regarded as sacrilege by the community who might have invested years in learning the OLD way.
    Sometimes though you just have to start again and this is why I feel that for the money (free) Blender's price is far too high in lost time learning how things work. In reality, it's really very costly indeed.
  • StormyKnight
    StormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,722 Ambassador
    edited March 2014
    You know you're addicted to HitFilm when.....you run out of room on a 500GB hard drive.
    Agreed that Blender is not user friendly but I was motivated enough to stick with it as I really wanted to use my own models. So for me, free was well worth the price compared to the end result.....even if it took a couple months to get it down. And who knows, IF a video I create in the future uses a Blender designed model of my own creation and it only makes a dollar (should it ever get far enough to be sold) well, then I'm a dollar ahead.

How's that for positive spin? ;) 
  • AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,250 Staff
    That positive spin only works, StormyKnight, if your time isn't worth anything at all.  But well done on keeping a positive attitude.  Also, 500GB?  I've got over 6 TB of harddrive that are full up.  Not counting backups.
    I've never tried to use a rabid skunk with a migraine, and to be honest I'm not sure what I would use one for, but Blender does have the most difficult UI that I've ever come across.  Though its been years since I really put any effort into trying to use it.  It seems like there are certain consistencies between every other 3D modeler and animator in existence, and it wouldn't be that difficult for Blender to use the common tools and interface.  They just stick with their own ways though.
  • MarcDraco
    The skunk analogy seemed more appropriate that making yet another snide remark about my ex. wife, Axel - mind you between her and the skunk ... I'm going with the skunk.
    I'm going through the tutorials and it's wonderful to see the amount of unforced humour that gets into them. Going back to my student days, I'm often sitting in front of the screen with a bowl of something cheap and warm and frequently choking over remarks like, "There's a guy in the middle throwing children and the children are throwing rocks."
    Wonderful.  :D 
    Early Blender (Amiga and post-Amiga) had an OpenGL UI as I recall and that was BAD with floating, scalable panels. Really, really BAD. I think the designers just smoked a bowl or two and then went with what seemed like a good idea at the time. 
    They improved it with later versions but the damn thing has so many inconsistencies that it's pretty much unusable unless you follow every version. The icons are unclear, the tools are confusing and there's no consistency: anywhere. Time is "free" when we're young and immortal but as we age, time suddenly becomes a lot more valuable (even if you don't put a fiscal valuation on it).
    As I said elsewhere (and very much unlike HF and HFU) the interface looks like it was constructed with all the charm an forethought of a sneeze. (An analogy I freely stole from my friend who once used it to describe the cottages "carved" or actually built into the hillside of the sleepy seaside village of Staithes in Yorkshire.
    The difference is that I can actually get stuff done in HFU which I can't in Blender; and that includes a particle system that should be easy (but isn't) and come to Axel's tutorials and find the HFU can do everything I want (and more) in a fraction of the time.
    Not just because the interface makes sense to human beings but because someone actually thought it through.
  • KirstieT
    KirstieT Staff Administrator, Moderator, Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,085 Staff
    You dream about it......
  • RossTrowbridge
    RossTrowbridge Website User Posts: 423 Enthusiast
    When you have never even bothered opening After Effects, even though you have legal copies of it from both CS6 and CC.
  • Triem23
    Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 19,833 Ambassador
    ... When you start getting NAB preorder discounts for Boris, NewBlue, Digital Juice, ProDad, etc, and you think "Nah! I have Hitfilm!"
  • Triem23
    Well... The BCC9 one is a coupon code. That's probably not violating my Terms of Service to share...
  • StormyKnight
    StormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,722 Ambassador
      Also, 500GB?  I've got over 6 TB of harddrive that are full up.  Not counting backups.

I'm going to rebuild my desktop- hopefully in a few months- it's my laptop with 500GB.
    6TB- You don't have an addiction- you have a full blown problem! ;)  Sea kelp. :))

When you have never even bothered opening After Effects, even though you have legal copies of it from both CS6 and CC.

LOL- I was so excited to get my CS5 suite and then HF came out like a month later. I've hardly gone back to AE since. I might some day but the learning curve on HU is so much easier as everyone knows.

• MichaelJames
    MichaelJames Website User Posts: 2,034 Enthusiast
    You know you are addicted to hitfilm when you get into an argument on the hitfilm forums with someone about a feature or function.
  • RossTrowbridge
    RossTrowbridge Website User Posts: 423 Enthusiast
    OK the CS6 licence of AE and all the other discounts, pass them this way please :)

Sorry, Tooshka. I might not be using AE, but Premiere, Audition, PhotoShop, and Illustrator get used regularly. I have CS6 on my own computer and CC at work.

• Pencilandinc
    Pencilandinc Website User Posts: 140 Enthusiast
    ...when you've fully bought into HF2U (I bought my license the first day that the Mac version dropped) to the level that FXHOME releases HF2X for free for 2 weeks at the end of January and you spend those two weeks trying to convert everyone (including, by the way, Andrew Price) that they should at least pick up ONE FREE COPY of HF2X because of all the cool features and the power it has...
    ...and everyone that you've yelled this to from the rock of eternity (FB and Tw*tt*r) goes "HitFilm? Never heard of it. Don't think it's as good as Final Cut or After Effects."
    By the way, I know it should be technically "HF2E" but--phonetically, at least to me--"HF2X" sounds a whole lot cooler. Incidentally, I'm also an avowed Blenderhead and sympathize with what you guys are saying about the interface. Took me 6 years of "on-again/off-again" study to figure it out...just in time for 2.5x to come out and had re-learn the whole interface (at least Cycles is pretty cool!). Trying currently to use HitFilm in an animation pipeline for certain FX in conjunction with Blender.
    Guess I've sucked the air out of the room by now. Thank you to everyone here who has posted tutorials. It has VERY much been appreciated for all of us noobs.
  • SimonKJones
    Hey Pencilandinc - thanks for your efforts spreading the word about Express. :)
    That "After Effects or nothing" attitude that some amateur and semi-pro filmmakers have is a bit of a barrier but we've definitely made good progress on that front over the last 2 and a bit years. In both sales and and general online chatter and reviews there's a good flow of people discovering HitFilm.
    Interestingly, as I think I've mentioned elsewhere, complete beginners and more hardened professionals are much more open to trying a range of tools than those in the middle. It seems that beginners are discovering everything afresh, while professionals regard everything as another tool in their toolkit and don't have any particular 'allegiance' to any specific one.
  • MarcDraco
    Simon - what you're describing here is part of the journey from raw beginner to expert.
    When we start out, we tinker with all the tools we can get (in many cases that means obtain through nefarious means).
    As we become comfortable with a single tool we tend to stick with it - and Industry standard is After Effects.
    As we progress further, we realise that AE isn't the be all and end all of everything and we look elsewhere for solutions that solve common tasks - better.
    I came to HFU via the free Express version by chance. Partly because my 32bit Premier CS4 (yeah, Premier, not AE!) was consistently letting me down and Motion wasn't able to fill the gap being something more like a poor-man's AE.
    It only took a matter of hours (once, with the help of Ady in tech support, I sorted out an annoying bug - which we think was down to a rendering error in a codec outside of HFU) - I was away.
    HFX (and now Ultimate) has replaced Premier completely in my workflow; but I still use AE for certain situations - things which require scripting are still the preserve of AE - but that won't be forever at the rate these guys are going.
    HFU just works - it does what it says on the tin and I have absolutely no hesitation in recommending it to anyone - particularly those folks who may be considering Creative Cloud.
  • triciakitty
    triciakitty Website User Posts: 11
    I know I'm addicted to HitFilm when...my cat paws at me while I'm in the editing chair; meowing at me to feed him. It feels like I JUST fed him...until I look at the time..haha! Playing around with HitFilm made 4 hours go away and I didn't even notice..haha! ADDICTIVE! 
  • Triem23
    When ya realize yer smartphone autopredict is knowin' all yall's names... 'Ceptin that there Axel fella. Keeps wantin' ta call 'im "Wilkerson," like he's a razor, or sumpthin'.
    Also, if you write forum posts in southern drawl.
  • Har
    Har Website User Posts: 401 Enthusiast
    You know you're addicted to Hitfilm when you're storyboarding the next bits you plan to use it for in your sleep.... LOL
  • Har
    Or: you know you're addicted to Hitfilm when you're talking to your significant other, and all the while you're looking at the wall behind the person trying to find a high contrast point you can track....  ;) 
  • StormyKnight
    I know I'm addicted to HitFilm when...my cat paws at me while I'm in the editing chair; meowing at me to feed him. It feels like I JUST fed him...until I look at the time..haha! Playing around with HitFilm made 4 hours go away and I didn't even notice..haha! ADDICTIVE! 

I'd say that's cruel but I've done the same thing! ;) 
  • Har
    edited June 2014
    triciakitty, on 09 Apr 2014 - 09:51, said:snapback.png

I'd say that's cruel but I've done the same thing! ;)

One of our cats has figured out how best to get my attention in such situations when I'm working on stuff, hence "Helper-Cat is Helping"...I've since learned to become fairly proficient at one-handed typing....   ;) 
    Har_HarAndArtieWorking.png

• StormyKnight
    edited June 2014
    Har- That's a riot!!!! :)) Your cat appears to be as codependent as one of mine. I swear some days if he could crawl up inside my chest he would.
    Back to the topic:
    You know you're addicted to HF when you tell friends who have no interest in video production all about HF and carry on ad infinitum until their eyes glaze over. :P
  • AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,250 Staff
    When ya realize yer smartphone autopredict is knowin' all yall's names... 'Ceptin that there Axel fella. Keeps wantin' ta call 'im "Wilkerson," like he's a razor, or sumpthin'.
    Also, if you write forum posts in southern drawl.

The sword (and razor) company is Wilkinson, just like me.  And while I've never made a razor, I have made a sword or two.

• SimonKJones
  • Triem23
    [quote name="Har" post="43815" timestamp="1403701323"]You know you're addicted to Hitfilm when you're storyboarding the next bits you plan to use it for in your sleep.... LOL[/quote] I do that with everything. Sigh. Had an ex once tell me I was plotting a patchbay diagram in my sleep. She didn't know what it was, but when she told me what I had been muttering...