Can I generate extra effects on videos in Split Screen Masking tool?

ahodgson
ahodgson Posts: 13

Not sure if this is possible.  From my trial and error, I'm guessing not.  I'm looking to get extra visual effects on videos / photos that are already in a split screen masking screen.

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Posts: 5,252 Staff

Convert the source layer into a comp, and apply your effects inside the comp.

• ahodgson

Thanks for your time Axel - I'll give it a go. I tried it before but the effects didn't seem to apply like normal - I'll persevere.

• tddavis
    tddavis Posts: 5,096 Moderator

@ahodgson Just a thought, but be sure you select move the effects when you create the composite of the source layer.  That might be why they didn't seem to apply like normal, but that's only a sheer guess on my part.

• ahodgson

Thanks - I'll look where to select that.

• ahodgson

HI,

Still struggling to do this successfully.

I've made the composite layer, which plays perfectly (two videos as a stack).

I can easily apply an effect to the whole composite shot, but that's not what I want.  I'd like a different effect on each video in the composite.  I've added the effects to the video files in the composite shot editor before selecting which layer picks up these files in the composite.  The effect doesn't then appear in the composite shot.

Can anyone explain how to do this successfully?

• ahodgson

Hi,

Still struggling to do this successfully.

I've made the composite layer, which plays perfectly (two videos as a stack).

I can easily apply an effect to the whole composite shot, but that's not what I want.  I'd like a different effect on each video in the composite.  I've added the effects to the video files in the composite shot editor before selecting which layer picks up these files in the composite.  The effect doesn't then appear in the composite shot.

Can anyone explain how to do this successfully?

Thanks for any advice.

Andrew

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,079 Ambassador
    edited July 2019

Mod Edit, combining redundant threads. New thread for same issue means people can't see prior advice. 

• AxelWilkinson
    AxelWilkinson Posts: 5,252 Staff

Set up your split screen. Then, right-click on the video you want to add effects to, and make it a comp. Inside that comp, add your effects to the video. After adding the effects, switch back to the original timeline and check the split screen. What specifically goes wrong when you try this?

• ahodgson
    edited July 2019

Hi Axel,

Thanks for your reply.  By make it a cop, do you mean make the each of the videos inside the Split Screen Masking composite editor a composite in themselves?  (i.e. I would have an overall composite split screen which contains two composite videos - a video with an effect added).

Thanks,

Andrew

• ahodgson
    edited July 2019

I think I've answered my question.  It works using that technique!  Thanks Axel - I hadn't realised you needed composite videos inside an overall composite shot.

Thanks for your great help and for helping build such a magnificent program.

Andrew

This discussion has been closed.