What MUSIC Amps U?

RedHat
RedHat Website User Posts: 75
Hi all. I was curious as to what music u all listen to in order to pump yourself up and create.  Maybe none? 
I listen to the Hives into classic Yes into Rush back to the Hives and then cut loose.
After that I am incredibly amped to create graphics & edit.  Does anyone have any music they listen to or can suggest?

Comments

• KirstieT
    KirstieT Staff Administrator, Moderator, Website User Posts: 1,070 Staff
    That's a really interesting question. It all depends on what part of the process you're involved in at that time, I think. 
    I can only write with instrumental music - lyrics will completely mess me up if I'm trying to make sense of my own thoughts - but when playing around with HitFilm I prefer really, really loud music. I don't know why - something about it blowing your eardrums out so that it's just noise and you don't have to think about it. 
    A quick beat is something I need if I'm creating an action shot or doing something vaguely senseless. Same with painting or art. 
    Some of my must-haves are Muse (sorry, obvious choice), Alice Cooper, Halestorm, Sick Puppies (specially Going Down) and The Pretty Reckless. 
    But nothing beats Ludovico Einaudi or a good Danny Elfman soundtrack for when you're writing something :)
  • alexsocal
    alexsocal Website User Posts: 5
    Nice question! I usually listen to melodic drum&bass when I need extra energy and all kinds of epic music like Hans Zimmer or James Dooley if I need to really focus on a hard task. Melow chill out will do for everything else.
  • Har
    Har Website User Posts: 401 Enthusiast
    edited March 2014
    KirstieT - Alice Cooper, excellent choice!  :) 
    As far as being creative for videos: most of the video stuff I do involves working with music videos or something very closely related - and more often than not involves my own music, either as an actual music video or a video I'm doing for someone else that I happened to do the music/sound design for. So I end up kind of stuck having to be inspired to create based on my own stuff.  :)
    Otherwise - really, it comes down to my mood and what I'm trying to create at the time. I do a lot of work within the ambient/dark-ambient genre so I sometimes listen to that if I need a certain kind of inspiration....but that's rarely the kind of thing to actually get me amped/revved up on!  ;) 
    For that, often it'll could be thrash metal (say, Testament or Anthrax for example), or atmospheric drum&bass (big LTJ Bukem fan), goth-metal (like Type O Negative), the heavier side of prog-rock like Rush or newer instrumental like Tosin Abasi, vintage-style surf instrumentals (The Ventures, The Sandals, The Mermen), industrial/EBM like Frontline Assembly, newer shoegaze-y stuff like Cheatahs, etc.
  • OrangePekoe
    OrangePekoe Website User Posts: 478
    I usually either listen to the sound track of a VFX heavy movie in the background while working ie:  Transformers on days I really need a boost.  Otherwise, I usually youtube - epic music and look for the 3-4 hour collection of 'epic music'.
  • KirstieT
    KirstieT Staff Administrator, Moderator, Website User Posts: 1,070 Staff
     Otherwise, I usually youtube - epic music and look for the 3-4 hour collection of 'epic music'.

I literally did that yesterday. Not content with listening to birds on my way home, I typed 'epic music' into YouTube and found the most amazing 3 hour soundtrack :)

• SimonKJones
    SimonKJones Moderator Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 4,450 Enthusiast
    I tend to listen to soundtrack stuff while working. As Kirstie says, lyrics tend to distract me - especially if I'm writing. These days I listen primarily to game soundtracks as there seems to be a bit more experimentation coming out of that arena than the film music space. Current artist-on-repeat is Austin Wintory, who has done incredible work for Journey, Monaco and Banner Saga. For something more rousing you can't beat a good superhero score. And for more intense VFX work I might stick on DREDD or Fight Club's scores.
    Outside of work, perhaps while driving or cooking, I'll stick on a bit of grungey metal, something like Alice in Chains, or go back to my indie rock roots with Eels/Radiohead/etc.
    I've never really had a defined musical taste or a preferred genre, so have always flitted from one to another.
  • RedHat
    RedHat Website User Posts: 75
    edited March 2014
    Wow, cool...  thanks for all the music sharing.  I forgot to mention Pink Floyd, Roger Waters, & of course Syd. 
    Bird music is the best. 
    Yeah, music with lyrics totally distracts.  I tend to listen to the Hives with a cup of coffee at the beginning of a project when I'm gathering & creating clips. 
    On final edits there is no music and things become very serious.
  • StormyKnight
    StormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,729 Ambassador
    Good question!
    When I want to get real jazzed, especially when I'm at my pizza delivery job, I put on some classic Yes. Otherwise it's anything from Pink Floyd to Moody Blues to Rush to CSN to King Crimson to Allen Sherman to Tom Lehrer to movie scores to all things classical except opera- can't stand opera or rap......opera is just a classical version of rap to me. :)) Okay- not really. I also tend to gravitate towards things I have written to try to change and/or improve my own song writing/style.
  • HighStandardsArt
    HighStandardsArt Website User Posts: 7
    Like almost everyone else said, lyrics distract me. I like to listen to movie soundtracks or Lindsey Stirling. The music goes off half way to 3/4 of the way when I have to pay attention to the video's audio. You should check out Lindsey Stirling.
  • RossTrowbridge
    RossTrowbridge Website User Posts: 424 Enthusiast
    HSA, I like Lindsay Sterling. I have  her album. But her original stuff gets a little repetitive. When she's collaborating with someone else, like Peter Hollins or the Piano Guys, is when she's at her best.
    I'll usually listen the Piano Guys, or a fairly large library of Creative Commons music I've collected.
  • StormyKnight
    StormyKnight Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,729 Ambassador
    HSA, I like Lindsay Sterling. I have  her album. But her original stuff gets a little repetitive. When she's collaborating with someone else, like Peter Hollins or the Piano Guys, is when she's at her best.
    I'll usually listen the Piano Guys, or a fairly large library of Creative Commons music I've collected.

The Piano Guys are pretty cool. To get so much more out of a piano than anyone previously thought is pretty innovative.
  • MarcDraco
    MarcDraco Website User Posts: 37
    Since we're talking music here, can I give a shout out to Kevin McLeod (http://incompetech.com) who has donated LOADS of his own compositions to creative commons licensing. You can even use it in commercial work so long as you attribute him which is a marvellous if you can't afford to licence something of your own.
    Also (since I'm shouting out) if you haven't tried them, http://freesound.org has massive and growing catalog of no BS sounds of all types; many of which are free for use in commercial work.