Windows 7 vs Windows 10??

I am formatting my computer, I am struggling to decide on which windows to install.
Windows 10 does not ask user whether to install upadates or not.

Let me know your views on which to choose version of window.

Thanks

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,300 Ambassador

Windows 7 is basically dead. 

Windows 7 is not an officially supported OS for Hitfilm. There is already one known Win 7 related bug that will never be fixed (because Hitfilm doesn't officially support Win 7).

From the standpoint of being a Hitfilm forum I have to say Win 10.

• DibsMcCallumDibsMcCallum Staff Administrator, Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 123 Staff

With Windows 7, it won't be long until it no longer supported by Microsoft themselves. January 2020 is the date now given.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/4057281/windows-7-support-will-end-on-january-14-2020

• JBaymoreJBaymore Website User Posts: 335 Enthusiast

Personally I'm waiting on installing version 12 (still running 11) until I get a new computer and install Win 10 on it .    Running Win 7 64 bit.  I am paid up on version 12 for almost the next 12 months........ just without the new machine...... it's not worth "upgrading" to something that will then actually slow down to a crawl on my existing machine.

Win 7 was a great OS.   I think Win 10 is the new "Vista".

best,

..........................john

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,725 Ambassador

@JBaymore I here ya.  XP was a good OS, too.   But as soon as security patches are not available the OS becomes vulnerable to security issues.   We are now at that point with Win 7, unfortunately.

For new installations I would recommend a fresh install (not an in-place upgrade) of Win 10.