"Star Wars Wipe" transition effect question?

JBaymoreJBaymore Website User Posts: 335 Enthusiast

Is there a tutorial on how to create that "fuzzy" edged wipe so typically used in the Star Wars films?  Working on some fan-film stuff and just have to pop a bit of that trope in there (just 'because').

I've looked in the FXHome tutorials and did not find anything.  I found some info for AfterEffects,.... but not helpful for Hitfilm. 

BTW......... running Hitfilm Pro 11 point something (won't go to v12 until the new machine exists).

best,

..................john

Comments

• JavertValbarrJavertValbarr Staff Administrator, Website User Posts: 297 Staff

Just drop a Linear Wipe transition between the two clips.

• JBaymoreJBaymore Website User Posts: 335 Enthusiast

I know that one.  But that is a "hard line" between the two clips.  The Star Wars one is a blurred, fuzzy  transition where the two clips intersect as the wipes move across.  That's the particular aspect I am looking for.  They do this detail of the effect on all types of their wipes.... radial, iris and so on.

best,

................john

• FilmSenseiFilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,301 Ambassador

JBaymore There is a feather amount field on the wipe transition. All you have to do is simply adjust the feather amount to your liking!

edited June 2019

Film Sensei.....

CRAP...... somehow I totally missed that possibility!  Thanks for the clarification. 

Problem solved.  THANK YOU!!!!!

best,

........................john

• tddavistddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,186 Moderator
    edited June 2019

@JBaymore FWIW, that wipe was done in the first Star Wars, I suspect, practically by using a double head film printer rig that let two piece of film negative be combined into a single frame for the positive print and using an offset on one to make it grow progressively larger to fill the frame, but that's a guess. Which is why it had that blurry edge.

It is a pretty "iconic" look by now....... and screams "old Star Wars" as well as a tiny bit "tacky" in the way it has been used (and abused).

best,

....................john