How to speed up clips without creating blank space?

sln2006sln2006 Website User Posts: 5

I am making a time lapse video.

When I select all the clips and change the speed to 2000%, it doesn't get rid of the blank space the clips take up. How do i compress and get rid of this space?

I saw something that it maybe had something to do with changing the FPS, but not many details were given otherwise so I have no idea what that means.

I am unable to do it clip by clip. If I had to, is their anyway I can auto combine all of my clips in my project with a tool or something? That way I can speed it up and then remove all the empty space at once.

Comments

• sln2006sln2006 Website User Posts: 5

(all of the clips were recorded at 18 FPS)

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,228 Ambassador

There are three ways to change the speed of a Hitfilm clip. The "Speed" effect the "Rate Stretch" tool and the "Speed/Duration" property. All three have different advantages. Which method are you using, and are you working in the Editor or in Composite Shots? Are you speeding up videos or image sequences? 

edited June 2019

I am working in the editor (two previews boxes side by side) and am speeding up a serious of clips using the speed/duration property w/ ctrl + a.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,228 Ambassador

Ok, you can do Speed/Duration in the Media Bin. Right-click a clip and select Properties. 

If you change Speed/Duration BEFORE adding the clip to the Timeline (and you can!) then the clip will drop at the correct duration and you won't have to shift things over. So best solution here is to change your workflow order. 

Speed/Duration,  btw, affects a clip BEFORE it's added to the Timeline. Speed Effect and Rate Stretch are calculated AFTER clips go to the timeline. This order of operations is important. Changing Speed/Duration affects all instances of a clip on all timelines. Speed Effect and Rate Stretch only affect an individual instance.

Another thing you want to know is, when a clip is added to a Timeliness it is "conformed" to the timeline and defined as the exact frames that are now on that timeline. For sake of argument, let's say you have a 30 fps clip you sped up to 600 fps (2000%) with Speed/Duration and added to the (30fps) Timeline. At this point only the 30 fps actually put on the timeline "exist." Using Rate Stretch to re-slow the footage will look "stuttery" because all the other original frames got tossed. So, if you want to do speed jumps from fast to regular motion I'd suggest duplicating the video in the media bin and using Speed/Duration to make one 2000% faster (or whatever you choose) leave the other at normal speed and just cut between the two on the timeline. More setup, but actually better than using Rate Stretch or Speed Effect. You can rename media in the bin, so you can have "Clip normal" and "Clip Sped up" in the bin.

Think that answers your question and then some! 

• DataDesignDataDesign Website User Posts: 440 Enthusiast

It answered my questions. And I had not even thought of asking them. Wow!

@DataDesign hopefully life will calm enough to get back to tutorial creation. As you can tell, I could certainly do one on time shifting. 

I'm completely new so I had no idea what you said.

On Microsoft Movie Maker, You can just select a clip and hit "x4" to speed it up. 

I don't care if it cuts out frames as long as it is recognizable.

• FilmSenseiFilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,297 Ambassador

@Triem23 That is a really good explanation! It wouldn't be a hard tutorial to make either.

edited June 2019

I still don't understand though...

I can't find any speed control in the clip box (the one you see before you add to the timeline)

Sin, what you're calling a "Clip Box" is called the "Trimmer," and that panel has nothing to do with this. 

The Media Bin is the panel that lists all your media - planes, video Composite Shots, etc. It actually has a header that says Media. 

So, to go over the simple instructions step by step. 

• Load your video clips into Hitfilm. 
    • Find the Media bin. 
    • FIRST right-click ALL your clips in the Media Bin and select "Properties." In Properties, look for the box that says "frames per second" and uncheck "from file."
    • Change  frames per second to a new number. For "2000%" this is multiplying by 20. For 30 fps video, go with 600.
    • Again, do this BEFORE you edit in the Trimmer then drop things to the Timeline. 

All this is doing is changing the speed of the clip before you put it on the timeline. Then you have no gaps to close.