Imerge Pro Tutorial Channel

HictorHictor Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 327 Enthusiast

With the recent release of Imerge Pro, I was really motivated to contribute by putting this tutorial together.

This tutorial is essentially made to help people crop out subjects without the use of Chroma Keys. With the new Group Layer feature (essentially, a composite function), the software has been granted a leap forward.

Thanks Josh!

So without further adieu:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ2-vgaooMA

I welcome everyone's feedback & suggestions.

Comments

• DataDesignDataDesign Website User Posts: 440 Enthusiast

I like it. I already used this method to cut out a person. Now I have to try to add that person to another photo. Problem is, the other photo was taken in bright sun and outside, whereas the photo of the person I cut out was taken inside a living room. How to make everyone seem to be outside?

• HictorHictor Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 327 Enthusiast
    edited June 2019

@DataDesign

This is a delicate matter for sure.  You essentially have to throw in a combination of color effects that simulate the proper lighting. One of the subjects needs to be matched with the other.

The problem is, these cases are so subjective so I really can't guide you specifically how to do it through writing. 

If you feel comfortable, perhaps you can email me both images? I can try to take a crack at it. 

[email protected]

And (with your permission) I may use them to make a video .If not, I'll find images of their likeness and do that.

• pcdroid13pcdroid13 Website User Posts: 5

cuting out a person in this editor is the best, i love it so much. it is too easy to use

@Hictor

Sent the photos. Thanks for looking.

• SamuelMorrisSamuelMorris Staff Administrator, Website User Posts: 72 Staff

Hi @Hictor, great tutorial!

One small point I'll make is you don't actually need groups to do this. You can draw the masks for the glasses and arm above the main mask (on the same layer) and switch the combination mode to subtract (the middle of the little symbols at the top right of the mask). This will essentially cut out from the previous mask. Doing it this way will also be cheaper in terms of computational cost as well.

• HictorHictor Website User, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 327 Enthusiast
    edited June 2019

@DataDesigned

Received. Done and sent back. 

@SamuelMorris

DOH! I should have thought of that.  Thanks man!

edited June 2019

So, thanks @datadesign I had a couple of images to work with for this tutorial.

We're basically tackling how to insert a subject into a photo with a different background.

Since I"m keen on keeping the duration of the videos short, I wanted to discuss "Technique" as opposed to step-by-step how-to's.

New Imerge users may know the tools but not necessarily consider things like proportions, gauging the lighting situation and so on and so fourth.

As a special bonus, you guys get to see me performing pen gymnastics.

With my mouth.

Imagine that. 

@Hictor

Yes, I cut the photo out with another photo editor, so It was not very precise. Also on the right arm side, I was not careful because I had intended to hide that side behind the kid in the other photo. Thanks for the help and for the great tutorial. The shadow on the face with the masked solid was one thing I wanted to know how it was done. :-)

Thanks again

@DataDesign

I understand bro. Either way, I'm thankful it came the way it did. Really appreciate you for giving me permission

The whole point of the tutorial is that you can make do even with limited assets. 

Its a gift that way.