Hitfilm lightsaber cut off hand effect

danilkp1234danilkp1234 Website User Posts: 78

So how would you get an effect where you get your hand cut off with a lightsaber thinking you would need a tracker but I really can't find a good image of meat or a more digital looking cut to replace with the arm

Something like the part here where he gets his hand cut off

(7:55)

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,280 Ambassador

First off, search on YouTube for "Film Riot cut off arm." They've covered similar effects in lots of videos, and you'll find multiple approaches. Chances are you'll end up masking out the hand on a separate layer and animating that, so try to shoot locked down (tripod) and get a clean background plate. Make sure the hand doesn't overlap the body of any actor - you don't want to patch a torso. 

Refer to EP V and EP II. In Star Wars a lightsaber cut chars and cauterizes the wound - so it's not a bloody meat look, but a dark grey burn. 

• danilkp1234danilkp1234 Website User Posts: 78
    edited January 6
  • JBaymoreJBaymore Website User Posts: 334 Enthusiast
    edited January 6

@ Triem23   "Refer to EP V and EP II. In Star Wars a lightsaber cut chars and cauterizes the wound - so it's not a bloody meat look, but a dark grey burn. "

Except in A New Hope in the cantina scene with Ponda Baba.......... bloody meat.  Oh ... and also the in the Empire Strikes Back ice cave  with the Wampa.

Oops...........   Continuity..... nah.

best,

.......................john

JBaymore yeah but i can find the dark grey burn asset on google and the bloody meat you cold just find on google. So that's easier but the dark grey burn would in my opinion look better

@Triem23 i watched that video. But would i be able to track the arm at the point where it gets cut off with mocha and remove the arm. i tried with a mask but if i cant mask the arm out on the solid plane (like in the video)