Make a twinkle. Be the twinkle.

Rmadman4Rmadman4 Website User Posts: 16

Hello I use Hitfilmpro and am seeking advice on how to make a twinkling light effect and have it look like the twinkle is reflecting light off of water.  The simpler the effect the better.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.  

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,303 Ambassador

Add a Grade Layer over your footage  

Roughly mask the grade layer to just the water. 

In Layer Properties for the Grade Layer, set the Blend Mode to ADD. This will look terrible - the next steps fix this. 

Add a Hotspots effect to the Grade Layer. This will turn most of the Grade black and just keep the brightest highlights. Because the Blend for the layer is set to ADD you should just see parts of your water turn white. Adjust the Hotspot effect so just the brightest areas of the water are blown out. 

Add an Auto Light Flares effect. Open up the Auto Flares controls and look for Blend Mode (or use the search bar at the top of the Layer Controls. Set this to NONE. You'll need to adjust maximum number of flares so you have a lot. You'll probably need to adjust scale and intensity of flare to be what you want, but these steps have set you up to have sparkley flares moving with the water highlights. 

• Rmadman4Rmadman4 Website User Posts: 16

Thanks. I tried this out and it is not working for me. Cant position the flare spot where I need it and nothing sparkly is happening. 

Is there anything simpler?

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,303 Ambassador

Not really. Any other methods are going to result in more manual steps.

Another thing you can try is creating a small comp shot with a quick animation of a lens flare, then using that as a video texture in the particle sim, using a Quad emitter to drop the particles. 

Auto flares doesn't let you position the spot. It's automatically driven by a luma channel. With water I'm assuming you need lots of twinkling and you don't want to manually place tons of flares. 

There's probably a couple of steps you got wrong since I've done the exact thing I described to you, and it worked. 

• tddavistddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,186 Moderator

@Rmadman4 It's possible you aren't seeing the effect do what it's supposed to in the preview viewer because of the Playback/Pause settings. 

This video from @FilmSensei might help:

Note the location of the settings has moved in the newest version to the bottom of the viewer instead of the top.

@Triem23 it is very true I could be doing something wrong. Although it is not physical water that needs reflected. It is tabletop gaming (Heroscape) hex shaped water tiles that need the twinkle and only on one specific area where the water tiles are in a well.  i will play with it some more when I have time next week. Will let you know what comes out. 

Oops, that changes things. I thought you had real water. 

This forum doesn't directly host images - you'll have to upload to a cloud server then put the link here  put can you post a screen shot of your map so we can see the layout. 

@Triem23 sorry again for not being clear. Its stop motion video of that. 

@Triem23 Thanks again for the help. I managed something that should work out. 

• DimipapaDimipapa Website User Posts: 310 Enthusiast

i created a twinkle effect recently by adding atomic particles over a starfield I made with the particle simulator.  I did it by animating the opacity random up and down.  The effect was more subtle than I would of liked but it probably wouldnt work as well for something more akin to sparkles than stars.