Problem with the layer order in 3D-Space

FappenFappen Website User Posts: 1
Hey there,
I am new to the forums and I also haven't done so much with HitFilm 2. I am trying to make a little intro for a presentation with an umbrella. So I took a 3D-Model of an umbrella and everything is fine, but now I want some words to drop out (with keyframes) of the umbrella. But after I put a 3D-Text in the middle of the umbrella, its always behind the whole umbrella, even though it should be behind the forepart, but in front of the back of the umbrella, if you know what I mean :D (I will attach a picture to visualize my problem). I know that this problem has something to do with the layer order and when I change it, its the other way around. I've also watched the tutorial video for "2D/3D-Layer-Compositing", but I just wanted to ask if there is any solution for my problem.
Thanks for your help and best regards,
Fappen

Comments

• CalebKCalebK Website User Posts: 435
    Hey, hitfilm has a wierd 3d space system... Pretend they are all in Seperate 3d realms that are flattened then rendered with other 3d relms. Basically their is no such thing as in front of or penetrating without layering and masking. To make this effect work
    1. Light your umbrella so it is not so cartoony
    2. Move the text layer above the model layer in the timeline
    3. If you want the words to come from inside the umbrella then you will have to do masking to create that illusion.

It's about creating the illusion not a perfect simulation
  • AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,242 Staff
    Caleb, that is only true in one very specific situation.  Which, granted, is the situation the OP describes, but it is unique, and quite different from the way HitFilm mainly works.  All 3D layers and effects exist within the same 3D space, and can therefore be placed and be moved relative to one another using their specific 3D positioning.  With one exception.
    The only exception to this is 3D models, wherein each 3D model layer uses its own 3D space.  But, if you place multiple 3D models within the same layer, which is quite easy to do, the same principle applies to them, and they can orbit one another or be positioned relative to one another in the 3D space of that layer. When using 3D models in conjunction with other 3D layers (or 2D layers), then the layer order will determine which is in front of the other.