How to avoid 'curve' mask points

DafterThingsDafterThings Website User Posts: 878 Enthusiast

Quite often I am adjusting mask points and I click something or somewhere which changes the mask from a point to a 'curve point'.  I then spend have difficulty getting rid of it.
1) What am I doing that starts adding 'curved' points?
2) Other than not clicking whatever it is... how do I avoid creating them?

Hope it makes sense.

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,275 Ambassador

Click +drag creates curved tangents. If you're working quickly it's easy to accidentally move the mouse at the wrong time (this can happen in other software  too). 

If you right-click the curved point you should get a Context Menu with "Convert to Corner." That's the "hard" turn. 

• DafterThingsDafterThings Website User Posts: 878 Enthusiast
  • FilmSenseiFilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,297 Ambassador

Actually, I think if you right-click a mask point, you get a menu box with the choices of Linear, Locked Curve, and Unlocked Curve. Select Linear and you'll be good to go. Don't forget, you can box select multiple points at once and therefore change all of them in one click! Unfortunately, I tend to curved points all the time... :(

Yeah. It is too easy to do. I tend to hit undo a couple of times to get rid of it.

Another thing, which might be due to my machine, is I click, drag and release  a point. I then move the mouse to carry out another function and, without clicking anything, the point jumps to my mouse position after 1/5 s or so.

• FilmSenseiFilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,297 Ambassador

That happens on my machine also, especially if there are a lot of mask points. The good news is I have a computer upgrade plan in the works. Another thing that I do a lot is I will click in a panel and start moving the mouse before I let it go, therefore moving the whole panel. I hate when I do that!

• kaju74kaju74 Website User Posts: 3

I also have the problem that bezier curves are not smooth, so I can't imagine if it fits correctly until I place the next point...

@filmsensei Yes... I am constantly moving panels.
    Do we know what upgrade might prevent/reduce  the 'sticky' moves?
    I *think* my motherboard can take a higher spec graphics card (currently GTX 760)  and my CPU (i7 3770K) shouldn't cause a bottleneck (or it can be overclocked).
    I doubt it's RAM related (?).  I have 16gb

@Kaju74 I simply try to avoid curves for the same reason as FilmSensei. I find it quicker to move a point than mess with the bezier arm thingies.

• CedricBonnierCedricBonnier Staff Administrator, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,189 Staff

@DafterThings @FilmSensei I assume you're both using HitFilm 12? I remember we tried to improve this last year but maybe the way to add different types of points needs to be reviewed to produce consistent results.

@CedricBonnier I do see it on HF12 Pro (I haven't installed the latest update yet though) as well as HF Pro 4
    The difference on HF12 is that once I get a curve point it locks that mode until I RMB and go back to linear.

TBH : I still mainly use HF Pro 4 as my machine struggles a little on HF12

@CedricBonnier I am sorry, but I am not sure which issue you are referring to... The original Mask Points Issue or the Panels issue. To answer your question, yes, I am on the most recent version of HitFilm... 12.3.

• DannyDevDannyDev Staff Administrator, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 338 Staff

@DafterThings

@Triem23

@FilmSensei

Hold down SHIFT while adding points to turn off the auto bezier behavior.

@DannyDev Hmm. Maybe I have misunderstood.

When moving points it sometimes creates a curve. If I am moving points and hold down shift it does some multi-select bounding box between the ones I have selected. ???

• JBaymoreJBaymore Website User Posts: 333 Enthusiast

I too have trouble with inadvertently creating the curves with mask points in Hitfilm Pro 12.  Drives me nuts.  Thanks for the info on the right click.   DOH!

best,

..............john

• zach_alanzach_alan Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 439 Just Starting Out

@DafterThings I don't think it is you actually moving the points that creates the curve.

I think you created the point as a curved point, but the bezier handles are extremely close to the point so it is hard to tell. Once you move this "hidden" bezier point, it creates a curved shape instead of a straight line like you'd expect.

Hopefully that made sense and is helpful! :)

@ZachAlan_Productions

I think you're right. I try to move a linear point, miss it ever so slightly and then drag what is, now, a new bezier point.  It is  frustrating and, I believe,  can mess up mask animations if I don't get rid of the newly created point. 

@DannyDev Good to know... thanks! :)

• CedricBonnierCedricBonnier Staff Administrator, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 1,189 Staff

@FilmSensei Yes, I was talking about adding mask points. Thanks for the feedback everyone, it's much appreciated.

Regarding dragging the panels around, I am not sure what is causing this, I have only seen it when debugging so I assumed it wasn't a thing in released builds. I am not sure we can do anything about that one but we'll have a look.

• NormanPCNNormanPCN Website User Posts: 3,945 Enthusiast

@AxelWilkinson "Hold down SHIFT while adding points to turn off the auto bezier behavior."

Just a note that this should probably be in the DOCs. Also, it would probably be good to add a couple of sentences about the creation of curve/linear point in freehand masks. And a sentence about converting existing point to/from curve/linear (right click menu and its options).