Creating more Masking points during the duration of a clip.

Zack2559Zack2559 Website User Posts: 7

Is there a way you can add mask points to a mask over the duration of a clip without messing up previous keyframes?  For example, I am trying to mask out a person who walks in my shot.  At the beginning of the clip, I only need like 10 points but as the clip progresses and as the guy moves his arms around I need more and more points.  When I first tried adding points over time the previous keyframe points went all over the place.  Is there a way to solve this issue or do I just have to have a lot of points initially?  Thanks in advance!

Comments

• DafterThingsDafterThings Website User Posts: 878 Enthusiast

If you find a way then I'd be interested as I've had the same problem and it's a pain.

What I do now is go to the frame which needs the most complex mask and create the appropriate amount of points. I then work backwards and forwards adjusting the mask without changing the number of points.

• FilmSenseiFilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,297 Ambassador

The short answer to your question is no, you cannot practically add more keyframes. If you do, they will be added, but you will have to go back and move them for every frame! You don't want to do that.

The better way to mask something complex is to use multiple masks. For example, instead of using one mask for the head, torso, arms and legs, use a mask for the head, a separate mask for the torso, a separate mask for each arm, and a separate mask for each leg. You will be able to mask out a moving person much more quickly using multiple masks than if you try to do it all with one mask only. Also, as a personal preference, I almost never use the "Curves" on a mask keyframe, especially if you have to animate it. It takes a lot longer to animate the curve handles than it does to simply add a few more keyframes.

• Zack2559Zack2559 Website User Posts: 7

Thank you guys both!  I'll try out that method FilmSensei and I'll let you know if I figure anything out DafterThings