How to shake the screen vertically?

Nev15Nev15 Website User Posts: 6

Hi guys,

I just want to know how to do "the effect". It's kinda hard to describe but I'll try. It makes the screen moving up and down frequently then the movement fades out and it's stable at the end. Hope the graph better explains this.

Comments

• AxelWilkinsonAxelWilkinson Staff Administrator, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 5,242 Staff

Try using the shake effect, and limiting the shake to the Y axis to get up and down movement. Then, keyframe the Amount from maximum to 0, and set the 0 keyframe interpolation to Smooth In. Then remove the Wrap, and adjust the Speed to get the timing you need.

• Nev15Nev15 Website User Posts: 6

Thank you for the answer. It helped me but I mainly mind how to make the shake more... ehm... regular? I can't name it properly.

• FilmSenseiFilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,301 Ambassador

@Nev15 Are you using Pro or Express?

• tddavistddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,186 Moderator

@Nev15 Judging from the image, I think the term you want is oscillations.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,303 Ambassador

In the Shake effect dial the Randomness down to 0.

The shake effect is an interesting approach. In Express the only other option I can think of is to manually animate the position of the layer. In Pro other options still involve manual animation, but you can use Behaviors to simplify the process. 

• FilmSenseiFilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,301 Ambassador

@Nev15 Here is what you want to do...

Set up a Composite Shot. Add a Point and make it 3D. Keyframe the X Rotation of the Point to Rotate several times over your timeline. Add a Second Point and make it 3D. Change that Point's Y Position to as far away as you want the oscillation to be from center. Parent the Second Point to the First Point. Keyframe the Second Point's Y-Position to go from where you put it to 0 over time. So now you have the Second Point rotating wound the First Point (around the X-Axis) and getting closer to it at the same time. Now create a Third Point and leave it 2D. Parent the Third Point to the Second Point. It will now oscillate up and down starting with big movements, but then getting smaller over time until it stops moving.

If you need me to put together a quick video demonstrating this for you, I would be happy to!

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,303 Ambassador

@FilmSensei you've really become a master point rigger over the last year. I mean, this is still manual animation  but you've cleverly reduced things to four keyframes to control the entire animation. That will make it easy to play with speed and timing. 

@Nev15 I should have mentioned that if you wanted to make the graph that you showed above, you could also animate Point 3 to move across the screen over time and use a Particle Sim to show it. To oscillate anything else, just parent what you want to oscillate to Point 3.

@Triem23 Thank you. It is really just a matter of removing the 3D dimension of the rotation which is easily done by parenting a 2D point to the 3D point. Maybe I make the 2019 list with this one? :)

1. Zach Alan's Alpha Channel Isolation Technique
    2. Super-Far Focal Point for 3D Text
    3. ^^^^

@FilmSensei I'm using Express. Thanks for the reply, I need to analyze what have you written :p

@Triem23 Also thanks for help but manual animating isn't the thing I'm looking for.

Maybe I should better explain it - I want to do the shake after an explosion which makes the screen move up and down but the randomness ruins it.

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,726 Ambassador

@Nev15 The image you have at the top of the thread is merely a dampened oscillation.   A simple way to attack this is put your footage in a comp shot.  Pull that comp into another comp.  Create a point and parent the first comp to it.

Then turn on Value Graph for the point and set keyframes manually to resemble your graph image.   You may have to tweak your keyframes.   I would expect that what you get is too “slow”.  No problem.  Create a third comp to put the second one in and play with the time stretch tools to futz with the timing.

Follow Sensei's advice is definitely what you want to study.

Ok, check out this diagram. We're not talking about centripetal force, but I think this will help you see what @FilmSensei has built  

https://media.sciencephoto.com/image/c0424396/800wm

The two 3D points are the hand (point 1) and the ball (point 2). Parenting the ball to the hand connects them with invisible string (really a rigid rod). Spinning the hand rotates the ball in a circle. This is what the two 3D points do. 

Sensei has this set up to where you're looking "edge on" and the ball spins vertically.

X axis is left-right across the monitor. Y axis is up-down across your monitor. Z axis is in and out of the surface of your monitor. 

Now, since this is a 3D system, the ball is moving in Z space. This is why Sensei added the third point. The 2D point has no Z axis (technically Z is locked at 0), so when you parent the 2D point to the ball it throws away the Z depth and just leaves the up/down.

Changing the amount of  X-rotation changes the speed of the Shake. If you change the Y position in the Ball's transform settings you change the length of the string/amount of movement. By animating the string to 0 you make the wobble decay to nothing. 

I recommend offsetting the second point on Z instead of Y. If you offset Y your starting point is above or below the center of the screen. If you offset on Z the wobble starts centered.

Jay, I'm kicking myself. I've used, wait for it, this same 3D rig before, but offset ball 2 on Z and rotate hand on X AND Y. Parent the 2D point, but... Here's the punchline - I parented a CAMERA to the wobble point to create camera shake (it's in the script for Essentials: Cameras 4). Anticlimax: so I feel dumb not spotting it to move a plate.

Probably cuz I don't get why the built in Shake with random set to zero doesn't do it. Plus, I question the artistic choice of a perfect sine wave for the camera shake. Gonna need some "bumps."

Okay. As I can see it need to be done manually and there isn't any effect that does this automatically. Thank you all for help. I definitely need to check your advices.

There is an effect. You didn't like how it looked. You want to fake a camera shake. That's exactly what the Shake effect does.