Importing a 3d model

Hi:

I have been attempting to learn how to work with 3d, but having issues.

I can bring in the model, and when the attached files are extracted, there is no problem connecting the files.

What I cannot figure out is, I bring in the model, and it has no texture, and no files attached. 

I have looked at several videos, but the texture files are always attached. What happens when they are not?

How do I get the model to look real?

Is this clear enough? Have I explained myself properly?

Please point me in the right direction.

Thanks!!
Jody

Comments

• GrayMotion
    GrayMotion Posts: 1,599 Enthusiast
    edited April 2019

Triem23 might be along to type you out a process but in the meantime:

This video is music bed only (no voice). Look around .39 seconds for attaching textures to models that don't have them attached already.

• tddavis
    tddavis Posts: 5,096 Moderator

@Itsallanact  Have you watched this video by @FilmSensei ?

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by files attached.  If you mean taking an untextured model then that has to be done in a 3D software to set up UV corrdinates and such.  Hope the video helps you out.

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Posts: 3,446 Ambassador
    edited April 2019

@Itsallanact Quick answer is to click on the gear icon of the model file listed in the Media panel (can also right click and select Properties).   Go the the Materials tab, open up each one of the materials and notice that the should be a file path location listed for the Diffuse, Specular maps and so on.  If none show or the path is incorrect, then click on the Folder icon to locate the missing textures.

One thing to keep in mind, though, is that the textures need to be applied to the model in a 3D program first such as Blender, Maya, Lightwave, etc.   as a "texture map" or UV texture.  Then the model is saved out with the texture map applied from the 3D program.  After that step you can read it into HF along with the corresponding texture files.   HF does not know how to apply (or write) texture maps, only how to read them.

• Wow!!!

Thanks for responding so quickly.

I will check it out and let you know.

Thanks again!

Jody