New G7 comes tomorrow, what used lenses?

I just spent all my budget for the next few months on a new Lumix G7. I know the kit lens isn't going to get me very far, I have some basic Nikon lenses, 50mm prime, a couple zooms, a kit lens from my old d40, but I'm really still new to removable lens cameras. What should I look at getting, the basics for cinematography? I also need a macro lens, I have a Raynox dcr250, but doubt that will do much with the kit lens. Advice? 

Comments

• braj
    braj Posts: 75

I need to get a lens adapter for Nikon, which one exactly u could use help with. Cheaper everything is in order, I am pretty poor. 

• rutxer
    rutxer Posts: 176

Hi there!

The G7 is a great camera! You can find cheap adapters for Nikon but you need to keep in mind the crop factor if the adapter isn't speed booster style. Otherwise a 50mm will give you the field of view of a 100mm (very tight).

Metabones Speedboosters are expensive but I think viltrox makes cheaper ones. Check ALXMNR YouTube channel I think he reviewed it.

And MFT native glass isn't expensive (compared to most full frame glass that is). And considering that the Nikon glass isn't probably too notch, I'd sell them and get something else (unless you have still Nikon cameras and plan to use them).

And... If you'd have to buy one lens, I'd try to find an Olympus 12-40mm f/2.8. It's bright, has manual focus clutch, focuses close (pseudo-macro) and covers 24-80mm, which taking a wild guess is 60-90% usage of 80% of people.

Cheers and enjoy this little gem!!

• braj

Yeah, I understand the crop factor, but two of my lenses are dx so made for aps-c sensor, so it will be more like taking a 55-200 and making it like a 70-300 I think, which is better really, with the 2x digital zoom I should be able to get some real reach. I also saw cctv and cinema lenses can fit with an adapter, the cctv are small and will work well, definitely not hq glass, but they give an interesting result and if it is for film not still it will be more forgiving. Anyway, I ordered some extension tubes and a g f-mount adapter. But I'm loving the little guy to death right now. 

• rutxer
    edited April 2019

Hi again,

Being DX lenses doesn't affect the crop factor it just means that they only cover an APS-C sensor. So, a 55-200mm  behave mounted on the G7 will behave (in terms of field of view) like a 110-400mm would in full frame. The focal length (measured in mm) is a physical property of the lens, totally independent of the sensor/film size.

And if you need more reach than 400mm equivalent for video, I'm very curious to know what you're filming!! :)

Extension tubes will give you closer focusing distance (get to macro territory).

• braj

Ok, well, I got the adapters, the extension tubes on the kit lens are solid but not spectacular with the short zoom of that lens, I'll probably do better getting a step up/down rings for the Raynox 250 I have. But the 70-300 is wonderful. It will have to be on a tripod for video, but it gives me a long reach with 4k video. I film nature mostly, and this helps a lot. The prime I have is a 50mm 1.8d, not a 1.4 that I thought it was. It is real close, but it is nice. Anyhow, I'm really glad I got an interchangeable lens system, not the fz1000 I almost got. I'll try and get smaller lenses, but I have a lot to play with in the meantime. 

• braj

I am not sure you are right about DX lenses though, they are smaller for the same range as full frame. They crop factor when fitted to a m43 I think is different. 

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/learn-and-explore/a/products-and-innovation/the-dx-and-fx-formats.html

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,080 Ambassador

@ruxter is correct about the crop factor of the DX lens on an MFT body. Even the article you cited, @braj, notes that the difference between a DX and FX lens is in the size of the image circle, but the focal length of the lens is still calibrated to the 35mm full-frame standard, AND that same article also notes a CROP FACTOR for the DX lens:

"1.5x crop factor (so called because the smaller sensor crops the image compared to an image from a 35mm film frame) is introduced. This means, for example, a 24mm lens on a DX sensor camera will provide an approximate 36mm view."

As the crop factor of an MFT lens is 2.0x (unless you're using a Speedbooster-type adaptor which will also reduce crop factor), then a 24mm DX lens on an MFT camera will be equivalent to a 48mm view.

• braj

Well, I stand corrected. So if I bought a 35mm cctv lens, what would the effective mm be in MFT? I guess all this matters most if I am trying to composite different elements more than just shooting film. 

• rutxer

If the adapter isn't Speedbooster style, it'll be 70mm equivalent.