Blender and HitFilm

This discussion was created from comments split from: New User Info Page.

Comments

• MichaelpotatomanMichaelpotatoman Website User Posts: 1

So I'm deciding between hitfilm and blender. What does hitfilm have that blender doesn't

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,720 Ambassador

@Michaelpotatoman Splitting off your question to it's own thread

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,720 Ambassador

@Palocono Moving your comment here:

@Michaelpotatoman You're not even comparing apples and oranges; more like fish and tractors. Watching some YouTube videos of either will tell you what they're both capable of.

To basically answer the question: Blender is a free 3D software package where you can create your own 3D models, texture them and animate them.

Hitfilm is a compositor that includes a video editor.  You can import models created in 3D packages, such as Blender, and perform basic animations while compositing the models into a background.   This allows you to create entire scenes with your models that includes lighting and particle systems.

• GrayMotionGrayMotion Website User Posts: 1,368 Enthusiast
    edited April 2019

If I may add.. Blender requires a pretty good machine and GFX card to really get anything of significance done. Compositing finals in Blender is much more difficult...unless your are very familiar with nodes in Cycles  and Eevve.

Hitfilm runs on less powerful machines and GFX cards fairly well unless your equipment is 10+ years old. Hitfilm makes editing and effects, like the particle system, grading, etc etc a ton easier than using Blender

Together - They both work in tandem for me. Good models and textures from Blender and final VFX work with Hitfilm. I'd suggest to have both...then that way you have it all covered.

2c

• tddavistddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,179 Moderator

@GrayMotion I agree with your assessment 100%.  As Blender is free and Hitfilm Express is too; it's not an either/or situation...

• FilmSenseiFilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,297 Ambassador

@Michaelpotatoman Since both HitFilm Express and Blender are both free applications, you should most definitely get both. You can then have access to 95% of everything that is in HitFilm Pro and 100% access to everything that is in Blender without spending a dime. After playing with the features in HitFilm, you can then decide if you want to spend some money purchasing Add-Ons or even upgrading to Pro. Remember, though, that in HitFilm Express, while you can add any add-on effect available and import models, etc, you will not be able to export unless you buy the add-on or upgrade to Pro.

• spydurhankspydurhank Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,827 Ambassador

Great advice from everyone because Express is free and it has purchased addons that make it more powerful. Very good choice if you want to use it all by itself.

Blender is free and  it has purchased addons that simplify and speed up  workflows, ,you can also find tons of free addons for Blender all over the internet. Good choice if you want to use it by itself.

A much better choice: Get them both, try them out, learn to use them together. Make some magic. :)

Pros and cons for both programs. Where one program falters in a particular method or technique , the other will help it stand but remember, final rendered output quality is entirely up to you. It should be easy as both programs output quality is incredible.

The quality of the media that you use in Hitfilm is pretty important. Media like footage, music, anything cgi and 3D content. The better the quality of the media, the easier/simpler/faster you'll be able to composite things together realistically. Low quality media requires extra, much extra attention and time to make it look passable and hide flaws. High quality media on the other hand is a snap to work with because it already looks good.    

Using both programs together will easily raise the quality of your final output. Now that I think about it, having a working pipeline with any dedicated 3D app and Hitfilm is a good thing. You could also throw in stuff like Gimp, Krita and Inkscape which @GrayMotion has a great tutorial on. There are lots of good places out there for you to learn from. :)    

• FilmSenseiFilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,297 Ambassador

@spydurhank makes a good point. Not only should you get and learn both HitFilm and Blender, but you should also pick up a few other free applications. Last month, I was working on a Top Ten List of FREE applications for a Filmmaker's / YouTuber's TOOLBOX. I didn't make the video, but here is the list that I came up with in alphabetical order:

1. Audacity
    2. Blender
    3. Celtx
    4. Gimp
    5. Handbrake
    6. HitFilm
    7. Inkscape
    8. Krita
    9. OBS
    10. Resolve

Does anyone have suggestions to add to the list?

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,268 Ambassador

@FilmSensei nope, you basically nailed it with that list. Only things I can think to add are FFMPEG or VirtualDub. 

@Triem23 I thought about adding one of the older Morphing Applications like Fotomorph, but they are not that good, so I didn't.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,268 Ambassador

Morphing is a specific effect  With the tools you list one could do everything for an entire movie, end to end. 

@Triem23 Morphing is a "specific effect," but it is a specific effect that would be very difficult to do in any of the other applications. That's why I thought about adding it to the list. Like I said, I was only able to have limited success, so I dropped it from the list (and I never did a tutorial on it). See this video for an example...

• PalaconoPalacono Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,442 Enthusiast

@FilmSensei I've seen worse. What were you hoping for that looks better? Couldn't hurt to do a tutorial, could it? I'd imagine you have to be careful with backgrounds, but could tight roto-style masks of the before and after shapes (which would themselves morph as Hitfilm interpolates between them) help contain anything that went too far outside the shapes into the background?

@FilmSensei I would also add a vote for VirtualDub2 which provides Cineform conversion.  Not sure Handbrake does Cineform?