Shatter Effect - Flicker issue

Andy001zAndy001z Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,863 Ambassador

Hi

So my Easter egg thingy is live, but I can't seem to get rid of a very annoying issue with the sides of my extruded egg flickering. I have played with loads of settings and seems it only happens on custom maps, but maybe due to these maps being more complicated.  I am using the recently rediscovered shattermaps. It seems to happen even on 1/4 quality play back, and even also when just looking at the wireframe, this flickers also. There are no grades or other effects on top, I turned the layer back to 2d and still happens. 

Anyone else noticed this kind of behaviour.

https://youtu.be/G3mIsV9Vddk

Comments

• tddavistddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,168 Moderator

@Andy001z Looks good.  I had to watch it 3 times and at Youtube for a bigger window to catch the flickering you mentioned.  That is kind of odd; I have no clue for you though, and really I don't think I would have picked it up unless I had been searching for it.  The design on the egg is very nice btw.

• Andy001zAndy001z Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,863 Ambassador

Just playing with the Threshold setting under the shatter Custom map and if I turn this down to say .18 the flicker is much much worse @tddavis

• kevin_nkevin_n Website User Posts: 1,911 Enthusiast

Could it be the moire effect due to the tiny complex patterns + aliasing? What happens when you change the background color that's currently black, to orange or red?

• Andy001zAndy001z Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,863 Ambassador

@CNK makes zero difference. I looked at the blend and it was normal on the Egg comp (next comp with egg image and a glow), I changed to ADD and no change. Odd.

• FilmSenseiFilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,294 Ambassador

@Andy001z I have had this problem as well, and not just with custom shatter maps either, but with Hex and Bricks also. The shatter map does matter, however. The better the map, the better the result! But even with a really good map, it is still bound to happen.

So I ran a test in Hitfilm Pro 4 and it gives the same results, which means it more effect related than the render engine. Ill have to upload the project to the team.

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,218 Ambassador

There's a limit in shatter noted by Tooshka back in HF2U. Shatter doesn't quite hit single pixel resolution when it calculates the map. The trick is duping your timing map into a second comp and using filters (several choices exist) to create a matching matte for a dissolve  Swap the original footage with the shattered.

This isn't as noticeable when shattering a screen filling plane or something angular. It's really only noticeable on curved lines. 

• FilmSenseiFilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,294 Ambassador

@Triem23 I am not fully understanding what you have written here. What do you mean when you say, "Swap the original footage with the shattered?"

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,218 Ambassador

Sure, we'll use Andy's egg as the example. Two copies of the egg, one without the Shatter effect wiped out just ahead of the shatter. I'm pulling a half-memory from 2013, here. 

Oh! Okay, I understand. That makes sense, thanks!

I'll hopefully run a test, but also need to double check not extrusion related. 

Ok I've emailed the guys a project.