About buying new DJI OSMO Pocket 4k 60fps camera with built-in gimbal stabilizer !

VARADLAD
VARADLAD Posts: 54 Just Starting Out
edited April 2019 in Practical Filmmaking

So next month i'm going to buy dji osmo pocket. Osmo pocket have built in 3 axis stabilize gimbal with cam plus have video setting for 4k resolution with 60 fps. So is it worth it for making Cinematic travel films and vfx short films? Do you guys have any suggestions or any other options under that price range as well as compact in design.?

Thank you 

Varad

Comments

• rutxer
    rutxer Posts: 176

I have one and like it very much. Think of it as a Mavic Pro minus the flying capabilities :)

Similar image quality (excellent), awesome stabilization, good usability (IMO) and it is TINY.

For that price though, you can get lots of nice things... If a tiny superstabilized fixed focal (26mm ish) camera is what you want, go for it. Just check your needs.

This is me using it:

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,080 Ambassador

There's nothing quite like the OSMO Pocket. At the price point your other options are basically other Osmo cameras or a Smartphone/Action Cam gimbal (obviously with a phone or cam).

The main thing is if you're happy with the FoV of the lens, since, as @ruxter said, what you get is what you get. 

For size and simplicity it's a unique product at the moment.

Ruxter can answer the most important questions. Does it record h.264 or h.265 (or both), and is it constant or variable frame rate footage? These will determine if you have to pre process everything before Hitfilm import.

Don't own one  but I will say I bought an Osmo+. Great bit of kit, and I wanted to love it, but it had a couple of issues that made it wrong for me  so I returned it. A shame as my primary issue could be fixed in software quickly.

So I'm fairly certain you'll like it.

IF you can stretch your budget another hundred bucks or so I recommend looking at Osmo+. It's bigger in size, but also has a better camera. Most importantly, it has a zoom lens. Osmo pocket is fixed focal length, Osmo+ has a 3.5x zoom. This means you have more variety in your shots. Instead of being super wide you range from super wide to "normal" to light telephoto. 

• VARADLAD
    edited April 2019

I'm happy to see these positive comments from both of you guys thank you @rutxer your video is so explanatory and thank you @Triem23 for in depth information , but i still got one question ... I heard that osmo pocket can be charged only 400 times as it does not have removable batteries , after 400 it is a dead camera , is it true ? If yes , should i choose to osmo+ ? 

Thank you 

Varad

• Triem23

Oh. Yeah, according to DJI the battery is non replaceable. For me that would be an absolute deal breaker and I'd move back to the Osmo+. Unless DJI has some kind of trade in program where you return the dead Osmo Pocket and they send you a new one for $50.

• VARADLAD

Yeah they should do that , man I'm so confused right now anyway,  thanks for the comments !

• rutxer

No idea about the dead battery... Chances are when that time comes it'll be gone in favour of something else... Damn GAS.

No h265, records in h264. 4k: 25, 30 and 60 (if I remember correctly) and 1080p up to 120. But the frame rate is constant, so NLE friendly.

One big plus (kudos to DJI) are updates. At the beginning you needed the phone to so anything eaningful: that's no longer the case. They have also improved audio, autofocus and some other usability through firmware updates.

And oh, I had a phone gimbal and I prefer the Osmo Pocket so much more!! The actual pocketability, and you pull it out and it's ready to go! Forget separate cases, balancing, etc...

• Palacono
    Palacono Posts: 3,423 Enthusiast
    edited April 2019

It would take a couple of years of fairly regular use to reach 400 charges, by which time there would be something much better and you'd have shot about 1000 hours of video on it. My GoPros haven't had that much use and now I could barely give them away. There have been several teardown videos, so it looks possible to replace it yourself with a suitable battery; you'd just have to find one the right size if someone doesn't start offering it in a kit soon. 

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,082 Enthusiast

I believe that 400 cycle number floating around is the warranty on the battery. 6 months or 400 cycles. 1 year on the electronics. 

Exactly how many charge cycles and life you get out of the battery (LiIon) depends on how you use it and how you store it. e.g. Is the battery discharged deeply for each use. Full cycles cause more wear and tear than partial cycles. Is the battery stored at full charge for any length of time. LiIon batteries do not like to be at full charge/voltage long term.

• rutxer

Battery aside (definitely not a deal breaker for me), there are things to consider so youlyo love it or won't do it for you:

- fixed 26ish mm equivalent focal lens

- great stabilization

- really tiny and zero setup (for a gimbal)

And, AND, after the last firmware update you can disable the "beep" noises, which makes perfect :D (for me).

• VARADLAD
    edited April 2019

Okay , What do you guys think about the dji osmo.? (Not the pocket , original osmo)

• Triem23

Much the same  The only difference between the Osmo and Osmo+ is the Osmo+ camera has the zoom. 

But, as stated earlier, the zoom gives a wider range of looks. I'd spend the extra money for that.

Rather than type up a long discussion on effects of focal length, I'll just link this GIF which is a series of portraits shot at different focal lengths. The Osmo Pocket and Osmo are always 24mm. The Osmo+ zooms to about 77mm, so, with the linked GIF pay attention to the range from 24mm to 80mm

https://www.diyphotography.net/gif-explains-changing-focal-length-impacts-portrait/

• VARADLAD

Okay ! As I'm restricted with the budget , I think I'm gonna go with the dji osmo ! Thanks for the help .

• Vellin_Boute
    Vellin_Boute Posts: 1
    edited April 2019

There is also a great way to get free roblox accounts with robux while you are at it. You should certainly go for it.

• VARADLAD
    edited April 2019

@Vellin_Boute Yes thank you ! Have you used the original osmo version?