Foundry 3d tracker

DreamArchitectDreamArchitect Website User Posts: 595 Enthusiast

I have a question here regarding the continued inclusion of mocha in hitfilm

With the foundry 3d tracker announcement does this mean it's destined to replace mocha?

Comments

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,270 Ambassador

Good question. Obviously I'm not FXHOME staff, but my guess is it shouldn't matter. Mocha will still have a place in Hitfilm. First, let's not forget how useful mocha is for roto. Second, The Foundry's camera tracker is point-based. Too much motion blur will cause a point tracker to be unusable. Mocha can actually track shots point trackers can't! (I can think of one of my short films where Ae and Autodesk matchmove just couldn't track the shot at all. Mocha nailed it on the first try)

• FilmSenseiFilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,297 Ambassador

@Triem23 So then begging the question, what is the value of adding Foundry?

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,270 Ambassador

@FilmSensei because a point tracker can track things mocha can't. Mocha always needs two good planes to fake it's 3D space  and you just don't always have that. 

Point tracking is easier for the end user as well. It doesn't require user input to set up (splines).

I haven't used Foundry's camera tracker  but I'm certain the relevant Ae tutorials will get us close. 

• FilmSenseiFilmSensei Moderator, Website User, Ambassador Posts: 2,297 Ambassador

@Triem23 So it's just a different path to the same mountain top. As far as I am concerned, the more tools I have in my tool box, the better! :)

• DreamArchitectDreamArchitect Website User Posts: 595 Enthusiast

@triem23 thanks for the answer and @filmsensei I totally agree. But also the right tool for the right job. We will hopefully have more jobs covered if it goes the way it's been predicted. I am concerned about how an addition like this might affect hitfilm pricing in the future though. Time will tell on that one

• WhiteCranePhotoWhiteCranePhoto Website User Posts: 896 Enthusiast

Mocha is easily the best planar tracker in the biz... but it will be great for the times when planar tracking isn't the right solution for the shot, because you don't have a plane to track in the shot. It does happen. :)

@DreamArchitect A future price increase is likely when any third-party tool is added. How much? Don't know. Hitfilm's price has bounced a few times over the years - Hitfilm 2 Ultimate was $399. Anyone who bought (or extended) during the sale will defer any price hike for awhile. 

• NormanPCNNormanPCN Website User Posts: 3,945 Enthusiast

I wonder if the tracker would add to the price of Hitfilm. After reading about this and Googling it looks like this is the camera tracker plug-in for AE that Foundry stopped selling in 2017 (press release on their site). Given additional talk about Hitfilm starting to support some AE plug-ins this kinda fits that line of thinking. I can't see as licensing discontinued software would cost much.

edited April 2019

@NormanPCN we shall see. I wonder if the Camera Tracker is a rebuild of the Ae one and dovetails with Ae compatibility? 

If you didn't see today's livestream  Josh and Javert discuss this in the first 15 minutes. Josh did specifically say Foundry worked with FXHOME to keep price down (and confirmed it as a future Express add-on), which strongly suggests a price increase for Pro, but we're talking (speculation!) maybe $20, not $100.

As I've noted before the extant third party tech in Hitfilm means FXHOME pays out a substantial sum - possibly over $100 to third party vendors* on new Hitfilm purchases. I would assume (but am speculating) every update extension also pays out to those same vendors. Hopefully that's at a discounted rate, because I always find it frustrating to see users say "Update extensions should be under $150!" when others take a cut. And a $100 take from an upgrade means FXHOME isn't making much.

*Based off Mocha, Boris and Codec add-on prices. 

@Triem23 @NormanPCN I watched this interview from NAB with Kirstie and Javert yesterday. In it, Kirstie said that the Foundry Tracker Add-On for Express would run around $50. That is a pre-release number, so you should take that with a grain of salt, but that doesn't seem too unreasonable. Yesterday, Josh said that Foundry was adamant about keeping the price for the end user down, so it's up in the air as to how much it would boost the cost of Pro. I would be very surprised if it will be more than $50, and if I were to huess, I would guess that it will be less, maybe even down to the $20 you suggest. Given that full retail for Pro is only $299, and back in 2012 the price of HitFilm 2 Ultimate was $399, I would say that it is still a pretty good deal. Given that Adobe AE full retail is currently $239.88 per year (paid up front), they are fairly comparable. The big difference is that you can keep using HitFilm if you let your "subscription" end (not buy another twelve months of updates), but you lose access to your AE projects if you don't reup the subscription.

• NormanPCNNormanPCN Website User Posts: 3,945 Enthusiast

@Triem23 "As I've noted before the extant third party tech in Hitfilm means FXHOME pays out over $100 to third party vendors on new Hitfilm purchases. "

Where do you get that $100 number?

edited April 2019

@NormanPCN extrapolated from cost of Express add-ons for third party stuff, of which Josh has stated FXHOME doesn't get much of that. I should change that sentence to "... possibly pays out..."

Edit: updated prior post. 

Edit: Once, long ago, I made a long guess as to how FXHOME payed out vendors and a proportion of income from Ultimate and estimated, low ball operations cost. The only semi-official response was a comment from Josh that my estimates were overly favorable....