Getting money to put towards your hobby

triforcefxtriforcefx United StatesModerator, Website User Posts: 1,060 Moderator

While there are a good number of FXHome users that do professional video and/or image editing, I would guess that the majority of users are hobbyists and casual users who love what they do, but often don't have the resources to make what they want in the way they want.

Filmmaking and image creation are not always cheap. Eventually, most people will want better gear. Or they'll want to upgrade their software (perhaps to HitFilm or Imerge Pro), or they need a better computer to process everything.

Many people here either aren't making money (kids and teens especially), or can't justify- either to themselves or their significant others- the expense of filmmaking. I've been there. I'm still there.

I'd like to know people's ideas for making some extra income that you can put towards your passion. If you have ideas for saving money, I'd love to hear those as well.

For me, I think plasma donation is a great option if you're eligible. Depending on where you are, you can make a couple hundred extra dollars a month. This can get you a ton of fancy new gadgets pretty quickly.

Comments

• tddavistddavis Moderator, Website User Posts: 4,179 Moderator

Wow!  That's putting your sweat, blood & tears into it...literally!  But, hey, whatever gets you to your goal, I guess. :)

• GrayMotionGrayMotion Website User Posts: 1,368 Enthusiast

Job 1 job 2, if need be...job 3

edited April 2019

I've got to elaborate more on this - it's my nature as I'm a ground up business owner and come from the school of Hard Knocks

My son , when he was 15-18 (teenager), caddied at a golf course, mowed lawns and picked up dog poop. Dad/Mom were not a free handout and neither were the grandparents. We all come from good ole fashion work. If you have a dream then you have to work for it. Nothing is easy in life or free..unless you're a teenager :-)

My son went to school full time -he got the essential and some "free" money from us....but he wanted more. So.......Golf Course - maintenance...paid very little, 5.25 an hour....but being a caddie on the weekends for golfers who just seem to have TOO much money paid him up to 200$ for one day AND created contacts for him that he used down the road, more than once. One of the people he caddied for was an engineer in the oil industry - low and behold when he was 23 he got a job at an oil company - guess who was there? My sons' respect and due diligence stuck with the man - my son is 29 - works for the same oil firm, same guy and is now himself an engineer AND makes 165K...not bad for a man under 30! Of course he always wants more...but he definitely got what he wanted at the time when he was younger...MONEY for things he really really wanted. AND....he showed me responsibility for doing all that...so he even got more from me - the grumpy ole man that tells you to "get off my grass!"

He also mowed grass, shoveled snow and picked up dog poo for the folks that live around us. Roughly a twenty square block area. When he was doing all this I MADE him work for senior citizens for FREE and serve the homeless on Sundays morning before he went to the Golf Course. Volunteering is very very powerful - get to know the word karma. What you put out in kindness and gratitude throughout life comes back to you 100 fold. Good or bad,  Karma can be your enemy or your greatest asset. Learn the power and practice it throughout your whole life.

Don't sell your life - or your blood. - instead get a JOB..learn skills, both people and practical. First and foremost reaching a dream comes from HARD WORK and moral ethics. Have one job but it's just not enough...get another one.

My daughter - well lets just say 44 and Bernie Sanders "FREE FOR ALL" seem to trip her up for awhile. She lost sight of hard work and seemed to want a lot of things handed to her as a "RIGHT".  She has finally come to the realization that what I told her when she was younger is not a lie. Karma is can be a b.t.h!

Words of advice - do not use the word "CAN'T" - anything is possible. It just takes you to make it happen. Make it happen!

Jobs for teens mostly. Dog walking/pet sitter, Babysitting, Car wash, Bagger, yard work/mowing lawns, cleaning, etc etc.

• spydurhankspydurhank Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,827 Ambassador

I really like @GrayMotion 's comments. :)

May not be helpful but I was able to save a nice bit of money by getting rid of/stopping my need to be social through drinking alcohol and certain egotistical "know it all" traits that come naturally from drinking alcohol socially. A ton of self inflicted negative things left me when the need to drink went away a few years ago. So really try to get rid of any bad habits/distractions, if any, that get in your way mentally and financially. Focus on your art so you can really develop it because all the other social stuff is simply a huge distraction and in my case was destructive.

You'll need to make yourself valuable by being the guy that can do it "all" meaning you've got to be able to focus to learn anything and everything you can about your art, doesn't matter if it is analog or digital, learn as much as you can. The better you can focus, the smaller your learning curve will be when you're learning something new. After a while you'll see this pattern that connects the analog 2D traditional art styles with art of any medium in a computer be it filmmaking, music, 3D, 3D math, vfx, coding or just about anything that you can think of.   

Be mindful of deadlines but think of every project commercial or personal as a learning exercise. This way you'll have a much better understanding of what you are learning and doing so you can streamline your workflows which there are many types. You'll need to be able to tell the difference between good workflows and dated techniques to pick what is best for you because dated techniques although not wrong require a lot of extra work, or you may even eventually come up with your own unique way of doing things. If you do happen to come up with something truly cool and unique, don't be surprised at a little resistance from a few people but don't let it get to you and definitely don't return the resistance, even better, simply don't respond to any negativity as it too is just a distraction and you should never respond to a distraction.

Practice every day. It doesn't matter if it is something short and simple or complicated, just remember to tell yourself that your goal is to learn from your projects and that you're looking for patterns that simplify everything for you. :)

No one can really teach you how to Art except you as you are your best teacher in the way that you wish to capture and translate our world through your perspective/art. I can say this with total confidence because I've had many, many art teachers throughout the years since I was three and not a one ever actually taught me how to hold a pencil or brush or draw with perspective, proportion and shadows. Was I born with it? Well yeah, and so were you and every person on the planet. We can all do it, you just need to focus so you can apply it. 

I live by my following thoughts. We are all born with the talent to translate the world in any medium with our own unique focus/perspective/art so be respectful of other peoples art because it is an expression of how the artist sees which only he/she can do. We all have it and I can see this talent in every single person on these forums. Some guys are very mathematical about it and will gladly throw numbers at you but math is an art as well along with coding. Having any experience in anything analog which is art/music related makes it easier to translate into the digital art world.

Collaborate with others and get your name out there, you don't have to do it all alone. This is my exact problem, I have a super tiny online audience so not many people at all know what I can do and there are more things that I could do to fix that.

But yeah, get rid of the negative things that you can, stay positive, focus, practice, collaborate, get your name out there.        

@spydurhank said "my need to be social through drinking alcohol and certain egotistical "know it all" traits"

Yea bud.....I had the mentality when I was younger -  "The Smoker You Drink, the Player You Get"

Sorry @triforecfx - I had to lighten the mood and bring back the fun in it all.  :-)

• kevin_nkevin_n Website User Posts: 1,923 Enthusiast
    edited April 2019

I advice you to create a spreadsheet and track your expenses, and set up different savings accounts (columns). Another thing is, STOP IMPULSE BUYING. Take it easy and slow, and most importantly, do a ton of (free) research online. I have hobbies too, but if I spend too much on one each month, then I have to take away from something else. I always have enough money to buy new running shoes, go see new movies, etc. I don't drink nor smoke, and that helps too! :-D

But the biggest one is probably going to be, start cooking your own food if you're not already, incl. bringing lunch to work if it's not already free. Food can take away a lot of your money, and you may not understand how quickly it gets out of hand. This was true in my case when I became an adult and thought I could afford it...

• spydurhankspydurhank Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,827 Ambassador

@GrayMotion , That is pretty cool. :)

@CNK Really good advice. :)

• triforcefxtriforcefx United StatesModerator, Website User Posts: 1,060 Moderator

Love @spydurhank 's comments... If filmmaking is what you're passionate about, focus on that and put away things that are less important. 

@GrayMotion also had great words to say... If you don't have the ability to make what you want, work hard so that you can.

@CNK budgeting and tracking expenses is a great skill... I absolutely believe that most people make more money than they think they do, they just put it towards things that don't matter as much.

Thanks for the input everyone!

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,720 Ambassador

@GrayMotion Gotta love Joe!  Funny how you remember where you were when albums came out.

• JBaymoreJBaymore Website User Posts: 333 Enthusiast

spydurhank  "I can say this with total confidence because I've had many, many art teachers throughout the years since I was three and not a one ever actually taught me how to hold a pencil or brush or draw with perspective, proportion and shadows. "

I'm sorry you've never yet had the opportunity to work with good art teachers. 

best,

.....................john

(professor at an art college)

@JBaymore ,

Sorry, my English is terrible and exact meaning comes across incorrectly.

All of my art teachers were awesome in that they would hand me a tool, ask me to portray what I saw and just watch me go. Every one of my art teachers would give me supplies to take home so they were very nice to me.      

• johnislajohnisla Website User Posts: 1 Just Starting Out
    edited September 23

Will buy a full setup for gaming like PC,chair,camera etc after my earning from my job. Because gaming is my hobby.

• GeorgefilmLtdGeorgefilmLtd Website User Posts: 211 Enthusiast

Get Hitfilm Express (Free) then put your self on fiver (Free) and have people to pay you for edits/vfx shots

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,720 Ambassador

@johnisla Please refrain from necro-posting. this thread is over a year old.

This discussion has been closed.