An actual gunfight!

Mistery1307
Mistery1307 Posts: 177 Just Starting Out*
edited April 2019 in Show off

This time it's me shooting myself, the brightness layer's opacity was turned down to 50% though it's still apparent it's there(especially in the rifle bit)

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,070 Ambassador

These keep getting better! Nice work! I think your light layer is just about perfect. You've really blended everything together nicely in this gun fight. If you'd had more realistic weapons instead of Nerf guns this would almost look 100% real. 

Something to think of for the future: many users (including me) just create a single thread for all their projects and add each project to the thread. It's a great way to keep one's progress together (comparing old and new work) and keeps your conversation all together. If you want different threads for all your projects, that's cool, but if you want to combine everything into a single "Mistery's Mystery Projects?", let me know, and I can merge all your old threads together for you. 

• Mistery1307
    Mistery1307 Posts: 177 Just Starting Out*

Honestly no, thank you. Keeping them separate means that people are more likely to see them.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,070 Ambassador

Arguably not. Your old threads will quickly fall 20 pages back where no one sees them. A unified thread pops up to the top every time you update. But, it's your choice  so, whichever you prefer is cool! :D

• DafterThings
    DafterThings Posts: 984 Enthusiast

Looks good.

The only thing that seemed 'odd' was shooting off-screen left and then centre-right yet still hitting the same table being used as cover?

• triforcefx
    triforcefx United StatesPosts: 1,298 Moderator

It's amazing how far you've come in just a year. I've been doing VFX like this for years on my Youtube channel, though half the time I'm lazy and don't do nearly as much compositing as I should. You've got it all- the nicely blended flares, the smoke, the bullet holes, the lighting. I hope we're seeing the beginnings of a future VFX artist. 

I think you've gotten really good at guns and bullets. I'd love to see you try out some other effects! Use what you've learned from gun FX and apply it to other things. (Blending, lighting, layering, etc)

But here's what I'd love to see you improve on- the cinematography. Obviously, your camera isn't the best. I don't expect you to go out and buy a new one right now (though I would start saving for something a little better...  You can get a substantial quality increase over what you're currently using for less than $100 these days)

Even with your not-so-great camera though, there's plenty you can do to improve your look. Learn everything you can about framing. Make sure there's as much light as possible when filming (being outside really helps). Use HitFilm's action lens distortion to correct the super wide angle look (unless that's what you were going for). If the camera has any settings, play around with them to make sure you're getting the best quality image.

If you have the ability to use a tripod, use one. They are so incredibly useful for the things you're making, especially when you can't always have someone behind the camera.