Redid that other video

Mistery1307
Mistery1307 Posts: 177 Just Starting Out*
edited April 2019 in Show off

It's that one fortnite video I posted except I've added interactive lighting and added blood effects. Oh yeah also automatic guns because they look cool. Accidentally left in the credit scene because I wasn't planning to upload this to MY channel. I didn't add bullet holes cause it's still supposed to be sort-of family friendly

Comments

• Mistery1307
    edited April 2019

I should flag myself

• triforcefx
    triforcefx United StatesPosts: 1,298 Moderator

Comparing the two, this one looks much better. I hope you can see just how much you've improved since a year ago, because things are looking a lot better! Most of your muzzle flashes are looking 100% better (I'm guessing because you found a good blending mode) I did find myself missing the Derez effect for the Slurps. 

The one place where I think the new effects fell a bit short was in what I'm guessing was supposed to be the "interactive lighting" you mentioned. I'm not sure the exact method you used, but I felt it was a bit much. There's a few things that might help. First, your subjects are in bright daylight. Even a bright muzzle flash isn't gonna show that much. It would be a different story if this was a night scene. Second, it didn't blend very well- it could possibly be fixed by changing the blending mode. I'm not entirely sure the method that you used, but it seemed like at least a bit of it was done by masking a plane layer. What I think could have worked better would have been to mask a grade layer, then adjust the Brightness of the area shown, and apply a healthy amount of feathering. Once again, you'd want to keep it subtle- probably no more than a 5% increase.

You might be thinking you should go back to this footage and try again on it. While that can be helpful (I'm doing it a bit myself), I think you'd be much better off taking what you've learned and moving onto something else. If you like, I have some footage that might be a good next step from this video. It's definitely not pro level, but I'm sure it would be good practice if you wanted to use it. Also, let me know if you'd like to see how I originally edited it if you want.

Last thing, I don't know if you've seen this yet, but this is one of the better HitFilm tutorials on interactive lighting. It's worth a look (or a review). Interactive lighting bit starts halfway through.

https://youtu.be/xkbYKAaYm6s

• Mistery1307
    edited April 2019

Thanks, I made it show a lot because I like how punchy it looks, didn't realize how unrealistic it was, so I'll keep that in mind, what I did was duplicating the layer and adding a high curves effect. I also found this method I think I'll use this since I don't need a specific tint.

• triforcefx
    triforcefx United StatesPosts: 1,298 Moderator

@Mistery1307 funny thing, I was originally going to add that exact video from freddiew but I didn't feel like trying to find it. It's definitely a good one and the concepts used are the same in HitFilm. 

That's one thing that everyone struggles with- overdoing it. It just takes a lot of getting used to. 

I'm looking forward to seeing the next thing you work on