New User Info Page

Comments

• GavinBarkerGavinBarker Staff Website User Posts: 98

@stargazer54 I think we can definitely appreciate the frustration when similar questions pop up frequently. Do you think a bullet-pointed (and pinned) 'Frequently Asked Questions' or something similarly titled would help?

That way at least a good number of information requests can be linked directly to that page, with additions able to be made when new questions arise. It'll also allow quick and easy reference posting for those of you that try to help as many people as possible on the forums, but have to repeat the same advice more frequently than you'd like.

I think we definitely want new users to be able to come to the forums and ask for help from the mass of experience that reside here, but we also don't want you burning out having answered the same question 6 times in a row...so any thoughts are definitely welcome :) 

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,720 Ambassador
    edited April 2019

@GavinBarker @Triem23 @CleverTagline Yes, a Frequently Asked Questions page would be in order, or a wiki page, or at least something that is obvious and easy to find for new users and regular users alike.  The catch is that this needs to be updated regularly by somebody.  But the problem is that sooner or later it will cease to updated and fall by the wayside.   For example, the link at the top of the forum page on "How to Report Issues" was last updated in November 2014 by Simon K Jones (who is no longer with the company).   Many of those links a the top of the page have been neglected.

I keep envisioning some sort of Quick Start Guide that addresses the obvious things that trip people up like why you Transcode (plus which codecs are supported) and the purpose of Quality Settings.  This almost needs to be a link on the splash page when you fire up HF (both Express & Pro).   Again that info needs to be updated as new features are added or there are changes in workflow.

As much as I appreciate the time spent in updating the online manual, unless you plop something in front of somebody's face they are more than likely to never dig further and RTFM.  

• NormanPCNNormanPCN Website User Posts: 3,945 Enthusiast

"For example, the link at the top of the forum page on "How to Report Issues" was last updated in November 2014 by Simon K Jones (who is no longer with the company)."

@GavinBarker

That thread/post certainly needs to be updated. It should also have a blurb about MediaInfo reports for file compatibility issues/reports. It should show up as a sticky in all the support categories. Manybe all categories.

Many initial answer posts, to questions with little to no info, should just reference that thread/post.  If this gets referenced enough maybe people will eventually get in line and provide some info in their problem posts.

You really need a transcode thread. Yes, we have a number of definitive threads on the subject but they have bloated with flotsam over time. I've thought of creating a new one with just a few things in it. Screenshots of settings.

You really need transcode info. Something should be in the manual on transcoding as well. For example, when you do not support a common Camera output, HEVC/H.265, you gotta help people get that media into Hitfilm. Then again, why is Hitfilm not popping up a BooBox telling something about an unsupported video codec and you need to transcode. Hitfilm just imports audio only. Not exactly informative to a user. The BooBox could have a link to your forum thread or manual page on transcoding.

• CleverTaglineCleverTagline Moderator Las Vegas, NVModerator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,038 Ambassador

+1 to all of the above.

As for the issue of such informational pages/posts eventually being neglected/forgotten, I'd love to help with that. No, seriously. I'm looking for work. Hire me, and I'll be your documentation dude. For reals.

• GrayMotionGrayMotion Website User Posts: 1,368 Enthusiast
    edited April 2019

If I may....to add to the confusion for many-  the theme is very uninformative for navigation and actually finding anything. You can add/maintain pages all day long...but if they don't stand out they will never be read. 

Sidebar navigation would help immensely! A stock Vanilla theme for example is extremely easy to navigate for the end-user AND gives the Owner the ability to make something stand out that you want to stand out. Sidebar navigation, sign up/in/registration buttons, Categories/ Clickable "ad"  images. Mind you the big ugly forum count boxes in the stock theme is over kill ...but for ease of navigation and finding what you want...it's a breeze to navigate the their forum.

Also incorporating Google's search api into the bootstrap instead of using the internal search engine wouldn't hurt either. I know I know..just use a Google search string....yea....but do you know how many end-users have no clue how to do that? Tons! They simple ask (type) the same question that a 1000 others did because they just can't see the answer....literal no navigation to frequently asked questions or important info at all.

EDIT: I hardly use a mobile device to post here..and I get that mobile display is limited...but for me anyways , using a desktop machine for 99% of what I do, a mobile display on a desktop is... how they say... "That ain't right"

• NormanPCNNormanPCN Website User Posts: 3,945 Enthusiast

"Also incorporating Google's search api into the bootstrap instead of using the internal search engine wouldn't hurt either. I know I know..just use a Google search string....yea....but do you know how many end-users have no clue how to do that? Tons!"

I mentioned this a couple of years ago. DanielGWood thought it was an "interesting thought!". Apparently not interesting enough for those who make the decision given the timelapse.

• GavinBarkerGavinBarker Staff Website User Posts: 98

This all really great feedback, thank you for your honest thoughts on all of this. The general forum 'layout' and theme is certainly something all of us here feel strongly about as well. We're discussing options and ways to improve the Forum as a whole so that things are easier to find/update etc. We're also looking at ways to improve the Wishlist process, so bear with us!

Please feel free to keep adding anything you feel would benefit both new users asking questions, plus anything you feel would improve the forums in general. All of it will be looked at and discussed at our end!

• Stargazer54Stargazer54 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 2,720 Ambassador

@GavinBarker Another thing to consider would be for users to post their system specs as part of their profile when joining the forum.  

Further, if there were a drop down that is embedded in a user's post that could pop up the specs, then that would go a long way to alleviating the tedium of, "Yes, I see you have a question about HF.  But please post your system specs first." 

You're never going to train a new person on the forum to voluntarily post specs with their question.  But if that info was already associated with their account and could easily be displayed with their post, that would take a big load off respondents.

@GavinBarker  This has been mentioned before, but there really needs to be a pop up nag in the HF software that pops up if the users system is under spec. 

• PalaconoPalacono Website User, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 3,442 Enthusiast

@Michaelpotatoman You're not even comparing apples and oranges; more like fish and tractors. Watching some YouTube videos of either will tell you what they're both capable of.