nVidia Game Driver vs Creator Ready Driver

GrayMotion
GrayMotion Posts: 1,622 Enthusiast

I know this is a developer question really...

Would  installing the Creator Ready driver be of better value for use with Hitfilm?

I have noticed an increase with Blender and AE but I'm using v11 so I'm not sure/expect I would see any difference with Hitfilm. Thoughts?

Comments

• GrayMotion

Well...it looks like the answer is no. Makes absolutely no difference in performance or render time that I can see.

I even have my GTX-1070 over-clocked - I see almost a 50% increase in render time with other apps like AE and Blender but HF has no love.

• tddavis
    tddavis Posts: 5,181 Expert

@GrayMotion I wasn't going to show my obvious ignorance, but I have to know: What is this Creator Ready driver of which you speak, sir?  I have the 1060 6 gb NVidia but I've never heard of this.

• GrayMotion
    edited March 2019

Do you have the Geforce Desktop App? 

Drivers- berries in upper-right corner next to "Check for Updates"...choose between  Game Ready or Creator Ready drivers

• GrayMotion
    edited March 2019

Forgot to tag you @tddavis ^^^^

• tddavis
    tddavis Posts: 5,181 Expert

@GrayMotion Ah, found it.  I had never thought to click on that before.  Giving it a try now. :)

• Vlad_Zanbarbone
    Vlad_Zanbarbone Posts: 68 Enthusiast
    edited March 2019

it's new @tddavis, only severals days :)

• GrayMotion
    edited March 2019

@tddavis - Let me know if you see any difference in v12. I don't have the ability ... stuck at v11

• WhiteCranePhoto
    WhiteCranePhoto Posts: 924 Enthusiast

The Creator Ready driver SEEMs like an improvement... but they still have some showstopper bugs in them -- apparently the driver developers haven't figured out the eGPU thing yet.

They still have a fairly major bug with OpenCL, which is that if you have an nVidia card installed (like I do built into my laptop) AND an AMD card (in my eGPU), the only one that supports OpenCL is the last one whose drivers you install.

I don't expect software to be able to use them both at the same time, but software should be able to choose which one to use -- that's kind of the point behind OpenCL being... well, OPEN.

The Creator Ready driver doesn't as far as I can tell do anything for OpenGL though, which is HitFilm's primary rendering API, so the Creator ready driver might well be irrelevant for this community, at least for now. 

I'll be harassing some folks at NAB about this... 

But I don't think it matters for HitFilm, since to the best of my knowledge HitFilm doesn't use GPU compute (yet).

This discussion has been closed.