Light/Texturing/Model Import? issue in Pro 12.2

tddavis
tddavis Posts: 5,094 Moderator
edited March 2019 in Post-production techniques

Ok, I finally found the Lightwave file my son-in-law and I made back in 2011 and wanted to play around with it and do an update of it in Hitfilm.  I imported the LWO and linked the textures and all is fine until I turn on a light on the scene.  What can I possibly be doing wrong?  I tried to show enough of the settings that I hope something will jump out to the model/texture gurus.  Thanks to all for suggestions or clues; I am stumped.

Capture showing issue

Edit: Forgot to mention that I tried flipping the normals and unifying the normals but it made no change.

Ok, took a little nap in the recliner came back and as a hail mary tried changing the emissive to a gray and the text lit up like it does before the lights are added.  Now, got to dial in the light setting to show the texture.  All is well, disregard.

Comments

• GrayMotion
    GrayMotion Posts: 1,598 Enthusiast

Nothing like taking a power-nap to get your head straight.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,059 Ambassador

@tddavis just a gentle prod to always check your texture colors on models. Never pure black or white. You just shared a video on that. :)

My brain isn't wired for the power nap. I envy you.

• tddavis

@Triem23 :)  With the age to power nap also comes the ability to forget stuff you just read or watched!  Truthfully, I don't understand why the emissive would have an effect unless I wanted it to glow.

• GrayMotion
    edited March 2019

Even though you had 0 0 0 255 the color of emissive was black. No emissive at all is 0 0 0 0 The color box will change to a checker background (no color). You shouldn't even need an emissive color

• tddavis

@GrayMotion Ah, so I had it emitting black rather than none.  I think I understand now.  That is something good to check on the models where that happened and I thought normals were the root.  Thanks to both you and Triem23 for the info.

• GrayMotion
    edited March 2019

Just for reference in the ole noggin - 

Setting up Materials/Lighting Colors

• *Emissive* Color is the color of the material regardless of the lighting setup. Even when the model is unlit or shadowed, it will still emit this color. This is useful for simulating light sources, such as neon objects or lights on a vehicle.

https://fxhome.com/reference-manuals/hitfilm-pro

• tddavis

@GrayMotion Thanks for that link and in an easy place so I can find it again :)  Just checked my Defiant I downloaded and the black nacelle on one side and a white one on the other isn't the same issue drat it all.  I found a Hitfilm file of an import of it that I managed to get corrected but I have no clue now what I did?    Ah, well...

• GrayMotion
    edited April 2019

You know....."sometimes " you can make things where there appears there aren't any...
                                                        ^^^^^^^^ ^^^^great use of English  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Generate Method

The Generation Method can be used to create normals for models that do not have them, or to alter the existing normals. This gives you several options for how the normals are handled, to modify their appearance.

From File: reads the normals from the file, without any modification

Generate Faced + Auto Smoothing: generates normals for each face, and then smooths all normals within the specified angle tolerance

Generate Faceted: generates normals for each face of the model

From File + Auto Smoothing: reads the normals from the file, then smooths all normals within the specified angle tolerance