Prop Problem

HeySiri
HeySiri Posts: 386 Just Starting Out*

In the movie I’m making there’s a scene where three people skydive. However, since I’m filming in front of a green screen I can’t think of a way they can wear visors or goggles because it would reflect green. What are some alternatives for eye protection (which any skydiver would wear) without it reflecting green?

Maybe paint a visor completely black so it can’t reflect but would look like sunglasses basically?

Comments

• tddavis
    tddavis Posts: 5,224 Expert

There's a Hitfilm tut on this very thing for a HALO jump they did with Film Riot, I think.

Haven't watched it a year or so I don't recall all that it covers but it might other tips at least that could be useful.

• triforcefx
    triforcefx United StatesPosts: 1,641 Moderator

Great that your thinking of these issues beforehand. Have you already done a test shot? In most cases, I think it should be possible to have goggles on, even if they reflect. 

The thing is, in most cases, the part that would be reflecting in the mask, is typically not a part that needs to be covered in blue because it either isn't seen, or can be masked out.

Alternatively, you could use the reflection in the goggles to add on a reflection of the sky. 

If worse comes to worst, you could create a mask around the goggles and either use spill removal or desaturate the green.

There are also some glasses and goggles that don't reflect very much at all.

If you have shot any test footage, I'd be interested in seeing it to see where your concerns are coming from.

• HeySiri
    HeySiri Posts: 386 Just Starting Out*

@triforcefx I do not actually have test footage yet. I just thought that goggles would likely reflect the green screen if they were right in front of the screen.

• tddavis
    tddavis Posts: 5,224 Expert
    edited March 2019

@HeySiri Matte spray might be your friend there.  It would make the glass less reflective but still might pick up spill.

• triforcefx
    triforcefx United StatesPosts: 1,641 Moderator

@HeySiri

It also depends on the type of glass/plastic you have. The more parabolic (round) it is, the more likely it is to have green wrapping on to it. 

Either way, the biggest thing is to do everything you can to separate the actor from the green screen. If you haven't seen it yet, I highly recommend this video. It is one of the best tutorials I've seen on getting a good key, even though it isn't HitFilm specific.

https://youtu.be/OH8TWTt51W8