My computer is under minimum specifications to run Hitfilm

Glenfunnyman
Glenfunnyman Posts: 1
edited March 2019 in HitFilm

hitfilm express 4 was working fine last night and this morning it closes every time I try to add a clip to my timeline?

I am using the following device but editing on a 1tb external hard drive. As I say, it was fine then all of a sudden crashing everytime I try to add footage to the timeline.

Model Name: iMac

Model Identifier: iMac9,1

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.26 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 3 MB

Memory: 8 GB

Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

Boot ROM Version: IM91.008D.B08

SMC Version (system): 1.44f0

Serial Number (system): H01370UZHT6

Hardware UUID: EB3775B9-F627-5585-A2D0-E8DAC4F6C0AF

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,059 Ambassador

There are two possible issues going on.

First, how long has it been since you worked in Hitfilm and what version of MacOS are you running? Hitfilm 4 is several years old, and recent changes to the MacOS will cause issues with Hitfilm. For reference, the current version of Hitfilm Express is 12.1 and Hitfilm 11.1 was a Mac-only bug fix to deal with those recent changes from Apple.

Second - and you're not going to like this - your machine is under minimum specifications to run any version of Hitfilm. Minimum hardware specifications for Hitfilm include i3, i5, or i7 CPUs and your Core 2 Duo is below this. Additionally the minimum GPU specs for Hitfilm include the Nvidia Geforce 400 series. This was released in 2010, so your iMac's GeForce 9400m, from 2009, is also below minimum specifications.

The chances are there is nothing anyone can do to help you. If you have updated your OS to the most recent version, then you will have to download and install the newest version of Hitfilm to be compatible with the most recent MacOS. Since your system is below minimum CPU AND GPU specs there is no guarantee that the more any versions of Hitfilm will run on your machine. To be blunt, you're lucky Hitfilm ever worked at all.

Unfortunately, as you are under minimum specs to run Hitfilm there is nothing anyone can do to help you. The only advice is that it's time to upgrade your ten year old computer.

This discussion has been closed.