4k video file not working

VadimFPV
VadimFPV Posts: 4
edited March 2019 in HitFilm
Hello, why can I open video in 4k in windows media player, and there is no express in hitfilm?

Comments

• triforcefx
    triforcefx United StatesPosts: 1,292 Moderator

This is most likely due to one or more of 3 things:

1: 4K has not always been supported in Express. If you are using 12, this shouldn't be a problem.

2: You don't have enough video memory: "2GB or more required for 4K UHD"

3: Your video is encoded in a format that Hitfilm doesn't read. If your footage is from a newer iPhone, or some other more recent phones, it may have been recorded in H.265 which Hitfilm doesn't read. You will have to transcode your footage to H.264 or some other encoding method compatible with HitFilm.

• VadimFPV
    Jifors MX 150 video card. Video shot on goupro 7. But after all, Windows Media Player opens this video.
  • triforcefx

Then it is probably the 3rd option... Some of the newer GoPros also use H.265 encoding. You will have to transcode (convert) the files to something HitFilm can read.

HitFilm does not read H.265, largely because the licencing fees are substantial for editing. Even if HitFilm could read them, they would likely not perform well in HitFilm because of the high compression rates.

• VadimFPV
    It seems clear you need to convert HEVC format H265 to H264 AVC
  • triforcefx

Correct.

As a side note, you could also convert to something like Cineform for the best performance inside HitFilm. 

Additionally, there may be a setting on the GoPro that would record directly to H.264, so that you wouldn't have to bother converting if you didn't want to.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,069 Ambassador
    edited March 2019

@triforcefx is correct. 

Hitfilm does not import h.265/HEVC footage. This is due to licensing fees (to explain further, licensing fees for HEVC are about 5 times those for MPEG-2. Since the MPEG-2 add on for Hitfilm is $10, you can see where this would be expensive and why it's not going to happen.).

Even if Hitfilm read HVEC video you would not want to edit in it. HVEC is not designed to be edited. 

This video discusses the difference between "edit" codecs like Cineform and "delivery" codecs like mp4 and HEVC, and why transcoding to editing codecs gives faster performance. It also shows several options for transcoding. The description links back to several threads here that discuss even more transcoding options. 

Triforce is likely wrong on one thing - at least on my GoPro Hero 6 black, some resolutions and framerates can only be recorded in HEVC. It doesn't help that all GoPro video gets an mp4 file name even when it's not recording mp4. 

• NormanPCN
    NormanPCN Posts: 4,081 Enthusiast

@Triem23 "It doesn't help that all GoPro video gets an mp4 file name even when it's not recording mp4. "

I don't follow. By that I mean, what is "recording MP4". It sounds like you are equating AVC and MP4.

• Triem23

@NormanPCN correct. In that sentence I should have written h.264

As AVC/h.264 is commonly called "mp4" I was trying to communicate that the "mp4" extension implies AVC/h.264 encoding, while HEVC/h.265 is a totally different codec. Since all GoPro video files have mp4 extensions, and some GoPro resolutions/framerates encode h.264 and others in h.265, it's not possible to tell at a glance by filename which is which. 

Better explanation?

• DataDesign
    DataDesign Posts: 569 Enthusiast

@Triem23

"why transcoding to delivery codecs gives faster performance."

Did you mean "Editing codecs" ?

• Triem23

@DataDesign I don't know what you mean. I typed "editing codec" there. I always typed "editing codec." I did not edit my prior post to replace a "delivery codec" typo with "editing codec!" You're just crazy!

(Thanks for catching that) 

• DataDesign
    DataDesign Posts: 569 Enthusiast

Sorry Mike, please forgive an old man's ....... wait a minute!!!??? (lol)

This discussion has been closed.