3D rotation puzzle .. easier to show than describe:

Comments

• GrayMotion
    GrayMotion Posts: 1,609 Enthusiast
    edited March 2019

Turn both layers 3D. Set one layer back in Z space a bit. Add a 3D point. Parent the layer you set back in Z space to the point. Animate the Y Rotation of the 3D point. The  image set back in Z should rotate behind and in front of image set at 0.0.0

Example: Deleted

Hope that is what you are looking to do.

• DamjanB52
    DamjanB52 Posts: 25

Right, thanks for the swift response .. but that's not it: what i want is to spin the part with the hole (see picture) around it's own vertical axis of symmetry, so that it occludes the stationary part (on one side)

• GrayMotion
    edited March 2019

Ok then..a bit more complicated to explain but I'll try.

Comp 1 - Set it up just like I explained BUT leave both images at 0.0.0. Attached the image you want rotating to the 3D point.

Now take Comp1 and duplicate it. Rename it to Matte. Double click on Matte comp to edit. Add a white plan to the bottom of the stack. Turn off the image you attached to the point in Comp 1. Add curves to the other image and crush the blacks until you have a black image on a white background. (Just pull the curves line in the RGB slot to the bottom right corner)

Go back to Comp 1 and add the Matte comp to the bottom of the stack and turn it off.  The image that is rotating...add Set Matte effect and for source select Matte comp you made.

Now in  Comp 1- when you rotate the 3d point that is parented to the image you want rotating it will rotate from the middle and the piece in the middle will occlude properly as it is turning.

That SHOULD give you what you want.

• DamjanB52

Hmm, thanks again, but .. i think i wasn't clear enough - this is the goal and the problem:

http://shrani.si/f/1l/GC/21LyqJWM/show-1.png

• DamjanB52

Hm hmm .. still nothing, after lots of experimentation - i either reproduce the problem (no occlusion), or get something weird, depending on matte settings .. or should i try varying layer blending too? I don't actually understand the logic of your proposal, but i don't understand even the original problem: why does simple spinning not work? Is that a bug, or ... ?

• DamjanB52

Another idea was: if in simple spinning (without the matte) the fixed part always stays in front, then move it back, away from the camera, and enlarge to compensate .. but no.

PS: i'm still using the previous HFE version, if that matters - reluctant to upgrade in the middle of a project .. or should i not be?

• tddavis
    tddavis Posts: 5,155 Expert

@DamjanB52 I am far from knowledgeable with this situation, but just kibbutzing a bit here.  If the order of operations with the set matte effect is causing something weird, would you be able export frames with transparency PNG of the two parts separately and import them back in and set them to 3D and place them a distance apart and get the result you are after?  Just a thought for a possible workaround.

• DamjanB52

Shalom, @tddavis .. kibbutzing, right - but if i understand you correctly, what you describe is just the "compensated" simple spinning i described in my last comment above .. or am i missing something?

• tddavis

@DamjanB52 No, you didn't miss, I did. :)  Didn't read close enough.  Would you be willing or able to upload your project and files if any to the cloud and post a link for download to make easier for me and others to be on the exact same page as what you have?

• tddavis

@DamjanB52 Thanks.  I'll play with it as soon as I get home around noon or 1 today.

• GrayMotion
    edited March 2019

You did nothing I suggested from the looks of your file.

First thing - your images are not centered.  The image itself is  left of the center anchor point of the image plane So if you try to rotate that of course it would not rotate properly. Fix the images.

So...

I moved the anchor point of the image to compensate for off-center.

Add a  point and turn it 3D. Turn the 2 image layers 3D. Place Fixed on bottom and Spinning above that. Parent the 3D point to the Spinning model. Animate the 3D point. 

• tddavis

DamjanB52   Just got home to download the files and saw what GrayMotion linked and it looked perfect.  I was totally off in my thinking of the rotation anyway.  I didn't see the front to back rotation from the diagrams and thought it was supposed to spin horizontally.

• DamjanB52

Hi @GrayMotion

> You did nothing I suggested from the looks of your file.

No no - i did everything you suggested, but after it didn't work, i went back to the straightforward attempt that i described last ("compensated" spinning)

> First thing - your images are not centered

true .. by design

> The image itself is left of the center anchor point of the image plane
    > So if you try to rotate that of course it would not rotate properly.
    > Fix the images.

i did - i moved the anchor point

> Place Fixed on bottom and Spinning above that

in theory, this shouldn't matter, right?

Anyway, thanks for the new proposal .. but i  see a a familiar bug in your video:

http://shrani.si/f/39/cr/3TEL83NF/gm-bug.png

• DamjanB52

Uuuups, @GrayMotion, i must be getting delusional, or optically illusional: that's NOT a bug, that's exactly the FEATURE i was looking for .. thank you, thank you !!

• DamjanB52

Well now .. may all be well that ends well - thank you both, GrayMotion and tddavis .. i must be entering the spring of my senility: i had what i wanted all along, i just didn't recognize that i had it .. my eye doctor will probably have something to say about this, and my psychoanalyst too :)

• GrayMotion

Glad you got it fleshed out.

• DamjanB52

So am i .. still thinking about it, though - and here's the epilogue:

http://shrani.si/f/1f/X7/2scVsBgG/epilogue.png

This discussion has been closed.