Exporting in 4:3 Aspect Ratio

This might sound dumb to veteran editors, but im working on a video in a 4:3 aspect ratio, and im planning to upload the video to YouTube. But im wondering if  by using the default YouTube 1080p resolution setting to export if it will change the original format im trying to use. And if so, what setting should i use to keep it in its original format.

Comments

• triforcefx
    triforcefx United StatesPosts: 1,288 Moderator

Exporting in 1080p will add black bars to the sides of your video. This typically isn't desired behavior. You'll have to manually change the resolution in both your project settings and in your export profile. I'm assuming your footage is in standard definition 480p. This means you need to define your resolution as 640×480. To adjust this in Project settings, go to Edit>Project Settings... And change the resolution.

To change it in the export, it would probably be easiest to right click the YouTube 1080p profile and hit edit (luckily this does not mess with the original profile). All you really need to change is the resolution and switch the name to something like "Youtube 4:3 480p". Export in that format and you should be good to go.

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,059 Ambassador

Or, edit at 1440x1080,which is 4:3 resolution. 

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,059 Ambassador

That said, YouTube's viewer is 16:9. No matter what the YouTube stream is going to have vertical pillarboxes, and there is nothing you can do about that. 

• Dimipapa
    Dimipapa Posts: 386 Enthusiast
    edited March 2019

@Triem23

I don't know when but as this ancient music video of mine can attest to youtube has started displaying appropriate player windows for the aspect. (maybe just on the site itself)

• triforcefx
    triforcefx United StatesPosts: 1,288 Moderator

Additionally, If you're playing the video in full screen on any device that doesn't have a 16:9 ratio (such as the 4:3 iPad), you'll get letterboxes on both sides. Yuck!