Is there a ZIP downloadable version of Hitfilm Express???

TripleAAAProd
TripleAAAProd Posts: 9
edited March 2019 in HitFilm

I've been trying to uninstall and reinstall the download but I cannot install the file from Winrar. It displays the message "Cannot execute C:\Users....etc etc..." The file extracts from Winrar but when the file finishes it displays this message every time.

Any suggestions???

Comments

• Triem23
    Triem23 Posts: 20,238 Ambassador

Msi files are self extracting. Run the installer like a program. 

• I have tried. Somehow I cannot extract MSI files on my PC.

• triforcefx
    triforcefx United StatesPosts: 1,339 Moderator

It is possible WinRAR is somehow set to be the default opener for .msi files, instead of Windows Installer. To change it back to Windows installer (assuming you're on Windows 10)

Windows Settings>Apps>Default Apps>Choose default apps by file type>scroll down to .msi>Change it to Windows installer

Option 2: Right-click the file and press install.

Option 3: Uninstall WinRAR... Seriously, it sucks. Use 7-zip instead.

• TripleAAAProd
    edited March 2019

When I change try to change the .msi to Windows Installer there is no option to choose from. It tells me to find an app in the App Store. 

• Triem23

Where are you trying to download from? 

• TripleAAAProd
    edited March 2019

I downloaded from my account. 

Here is what I get when I try to extract the file after the download.

https://i.imgur.com/NwXRDlO.png

I have tried to un-register, re-register Windows Install. I have tried 7 zip. 

• triforcefx

You do not need to extract the files yourself.

Here's what you need to do...

On that window you shared with us, first click the checkbox that says "Always use this app to open .msi files." Then, there should be an option at the bottom for either "More apps" or "Look for another app on this PC." If you get the first one, click it, then scroll down to the "Look for another app on this PC."

When you click it, you'll get an Explorer window. Navigate to C:\Windows\System32\ Then click on Msiexec.exe and hit open.

This should open the installer, and set all .msi files to automatically open with the Windows installer.

As a side note, (as an IT guy) I HIGHLY recommend running an anti-virus and anti-malware scan on your PC. This is not normal behavior, and things should be much easier than this. The built-in Windows Defender works decently for viruses, but I recommend the free Malwarebytes for checking for malware (I am in no way sponsored by Malwarebytes, I've just found it to be one of the most effective and least bothersome anti-malware scanners out there)

Good luck!

• No luck. I keep getting this message when trying to use MSIexec.exe.

https://i.imgur.com/7LeHX7V.png

• triforcefx

Would it take a long time to set up your computer again? Assuming you did what I told you correctly, it should have worked. Your computer seems to have some serious issues, and the easiest and best way to do that would be a fresh install.

Windows 10 has made it super easy to do this without deleting your files, but you will have to reinstall any programs you use and some settings might be switched back to default.

Before you do this, I still highly suggest running an anti-virus and anti-malware scan. If you are infected, doing this before a reinstall will significantly reduce the chance of getting infected again.

As always, while this method should retain your data, computers can be stupid sometimes... If you have any important files on your computer, BACK THEM UP just in case. 

Once you do that, go to Windows Settings>Update & Security>Open Windows Security (this may be called Windows Defender in older versions)

In the Windows Security screen, go to Device performance & health, scroll down to Fresh start and click Additional info, click Get Started and follow the prompts. If all is successful, you should have a fresh new PC in an hour or two (if you're on a laptop, make sure it is plugged in. On a desktop, do it at a time where there is minimal chance of a power outage- so not in a lightning storm)

You'll have a new, clean computer. Your files should be intact. You'll have to redownload your normal apps, but the computer will leave a note of every app it removed. I suggest only installing the apps as you need them though. Best of all (imo), you should be able to install HitFilm without any issues (assuming you meet the minimum specs...)! Good luck!

• I appreciate the information. I really do. It would be a pain to do a fresh install. (I have done this a few times over the years). I don't understand why this isn't working. This is the first time I have had any issue trying to use any type of program. I have plugins from all types of software and I really do not want to re-install all of them. 

Thanks again. I appreciate it. 

• triforcefx

If you right-click the .msi file, what options does it give you? If there's an option for Install, press it!

If you are unwilling to do a fresh install, then there might be a command line utility you can use, but do what I suggested above first.

• GrayMotion
    GrayMotion Posts: 1,609 Enthusiast
    edited March 2019

A Google search reveals a possible fix-

"This is how I solved the problem. I remembered a command about  group policies. I held down the windows key plus the "R" key and opened the run dialog box. I typed "gpedit.msc" into the box (without the quotation marks). This opens a "Group Policy Editor". Under computer configuration (left pane) I expanded "administrative templates", then "windows components" and scrolled down to "Windows Installer". I clicked on "Windows Installer" and that expanded into the right pane. In the right pane I chose "Always Install with elevated privileges". After double-clicking that a new window popped up. I changed the setting from "not configured" to "enabled" and clicked "apply" and then "OK". Voila. Everything worked. The .msi file installed perfectly. I also made the exact same changes under "User Configuration". Same choices. Same clicks. Same changes. I did those first and nothing changed. Making the changes under "Computer Configuration" worked. That might work by itself. I didn't go back and make any more changes to see so you can try the changes under "Computer Configuration" first. If that works then that will suffice. If it doesn't.....you will have to change the settings under both tabs. But the big deal is........I tried every known solution from Microsoft answers to Microsoft support to about a dozen other "solutions" from "expert" sites. NONE of them told me to do the above. Hope this helps someone who got as frustrated over this as I did."

Source: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/cannot-install-msi-files-in-windows-10/c4e16100-9578-485d-b581-36ed31c006fb?page=3

Did you try and moving the  installer to the root of C ?

There is no reason to re-install the OS - 

• TripleAAAProd
    edited March 2019

@triforcefx i get this when I right click on the file 

https://i.imgur.com/0ddRmi6.png

@graymotion how do I move the installer to the root of C? 

• Stargazer54
    Stargazer54 Posts: 3,554 Ambassador

Select Copy.  Open up another explorer windows and get to the root of C:/.  Right click in the window and select Paste.

•  So I downloaded Express on my wife's laptop and didn't have a single problem installing the program. Anyone have any suggestions?

• Triem23

Yes. Chances are your Windows installation is corrupt or missing files. You may not want to do a fresh install, but you need to do one. 

• triforcefx

There is also a possibility of doing an "upgrade install". I've never done one of these myself, however from what I've read, basically it's the same thing that happened when Windows 7 and 8 users upgraded to Windows 10 without losing anything (unless there was an incompatible app). Basically, it updates your computer to the latest version by replacing every system file, rather than just adding to the OS and only changing updated files.

This is actually one reason why major iOS (and presumably MacOS) updates are great... They do a fresh install of all the system files at least once a year, keeping the system running smoothly.

• Thanks. I appreciate it. 

This discussion has been closed.