Mediocre gunfire test

Mistery1307Mistery1307 Website User Posts: 177 Just Starting Out
edited March 2019 in Show off

Comments

• triforcefxtriforcefx United StatesModerator, Website User Posts: 1,059 Moderator

Is this your footage? If so, HOW DO YOU FIND LOCATIONS LIKE THIS?!?!? I try looking for neat locations, but I just thought of 10 new video ideas just from seeing that. I'd love to film there!

• Triem23Triem23 Moderator Moderator, Website User, Ambassador, Imerge Beta Tester, HitFilm Beta Tester Posts: 18,219 Ambassador

Again  pretty good. One thing you did correctly was single frame flashes (so good timing) 

In the second video you posted it looks like the flash isn't behind the gun. This is masking, just like the tron test. So here's a masking tip. If you have something like a gun firing away from the camera you go to the first frame of gunfire and do your mask. Back up one frame and move the mask all the way off screen. Go to the frame after the gunfire and move the mask off screen. Set all your keyframes to Constant. For each gunfire frame you move the mask back over the gun and reshape it. Moving the mask off screen just keeps it out of the way when you don't need it. 

Some of the flashes have clearly defined darker edges. There are multiple ways to deal with this. Try the "Demult" effect. This knocks black to transparent with a bit of fade for darker values, and it might take care of the edges. Another thing to look at is in the Layer Properties for the flashes. Try setting the flash layers blend modes to Add or Screen. Both basically brighten the underlying video and are good to use for daytime gun fire. 

YouTube search "Hitfilm Muzzle Flash" and you'll find some good tutorials.

While I'm here, your second Tron test is much improved. Good use of shatter. I hadn't spotted that.

• Mistery1307Mistery1307 Website User Posts: 177 Just Starting Out
    edited March 2019
  • Mistery1307Mistery1307 Website User Posts: 177 Just Starting Out
    edited March 2019

I'll try that, it's just that the footage is on a greenscreen, so I didn't think I would need to.